Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Tacos w/ Ancho-Orange Sauce

Was going to make this recipe (see link below) this weekend.  It is not set up for the egg.  It has you cutting up the pork shoulder into cubes.  Was thinking i might cook this low and slow (275 to 300) in a foil pan on the egg.  Should i keep the shoulder whole, or cube it?  What would would you use for wood?  I typically use apple and cherry for pork shoulder, but was wondering if something else would be better.  I also thought i would add the onions to the egg to give them some smokey flavor.  Let me know what you guys would do.

I am also going to make my first batch of homemade tortillas.  If any of you have some tips on that they would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/shredded-pork-in-ancho-orange-sauce-chilorio.html

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    That sounds really good!  I guess it somewhat depends on how much time you want to cook, but if it were me I think I would keep the butts whole and smoke them for a while. Perhaps once the butts reach 180 or so, you could then add them to the foil pan with all the liquid and take them to 195 or so. 

If you want to speed things up, I suppose cubing them would make them cook faster. I think you could still follow the same method- smoke the cubes for a while out of the liquid then add them.  IMO, the advantage of cooking the butts whole is they retain more moisture, but since you are adding all the liquid anyway that really might not be an issue. 

I think apple and cherry sounds great.  

Solson005 can help :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• alphacentauri
    alphacentauri Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    i agree with smokeypitt, keep it whole. i have been cutting my pork butt into strips and that goes well, but this last time trimmed too much fat off them and they came out tougher for sure. i also think apple and cherry is a good combo. 

with the tortilla i would give this advice: use veg oil, not olive oil or butter /lard. they come out way better.

btw, this seems like a great meal, update us with pics. i think i'll be trying this soon too.  
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Cooking time should not be an issue.  The wife is out of town so i have nothing today. 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mike,
    That recipe looks awesome.  Bookmarked !

Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MikeP624

I will try to remember to add some photos and let you know how it turns out.  But unfortunately i am pretty lazywhen it comes to post pictures.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Puhllllleeeeeeaaaaase post pics. I would love to try this. Homemade tortillas would definitely take it over the edge.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    That recipe sounds great.

I think you could do it as posted in a dutch oven on the egg. I have made Cochinita Pibil wrapped in banana leaves on the egg in a dutch oven and it turned out great. Or if you wanted to save some regular pulled pork you could just stick in on the egg whole and cube half of it up around when @SmokeyPitt suggested. 

I used slices when I made Tacos al pastor and used a turkey fryer holder and that way would work great too. 

As far as the tortillas I use Masa de Harina and a ziplock bag cut in half sprayed with oil. To keep it from sticking you need to get it out of the ziplock almost immediately, I will be setting up outside next to my egg as some stuck together and it was a bunch of walking in and out of the house. These tortillas blow any store bought ones out of the water and only need to be on a griddle or comal for a min or so on each side. I have pictures in the al pastor post and in my Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next post. 

I will be around the computer and can help with any questions if they pop up. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MikeP624

I thought about putting my dutch oven on the egg, but i do not want to put my Le Cruest on the egg. 

I think i am going to do a hole shoulder and add the OJ towards the end.  I just want to make sure i get enough of the OJ flavor since there is none in the sauce.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I understand about the Le Creuset, luckily I have dutch ovens from camping that go in my egg. You could always use a injector and do half of it injected with OJ. Or cube off a big chunk towards the end and simmer it in OJ in your Le Crueset on the stove. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Ok this is where the foiler comes in, I just made these and what I did was cook the butt at 330 for 6 hrs, or until 200. Then I FTC,  until I pulled. Don't take out of the foil, I didnt want much if any smoke. It worked well. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have made a this recipe as written. I also make traditional carnitas I either recipe is a winner. Go for it.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • MikeP624
    Do to some new time constraints i think i am going to skip the egg and just follow the recipe.  Its to bad too, it is finally suppose to be nice out and i won't be able to sit outside by the egg.  Oh well.