Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good @ Ace

I went to order more Wicked Good from the Ace Hardware website, and it is no longer listed.  Anyone have any insight?  Is it gone forever?  Thanks.
LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I haven't seen it for almost a week. They now only list Cowboy lump plus Kingsford and GrillMark briquettes. 
  • I asked about this in an earlier thread even though I was able to order on-line and pick up the order last week, it looks like it's gone from their site.  I was told though that you can still go to the local store and ask them to place an order with the SKU.  I'll try to find the older thread and list the SKU :)
  • BryanLyle
    BryanLyle Posts: 40
    Booooo Ace. Cowboy != Wicked Good
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Really?  That's bad news.  I just bought a couple of WGWW from Ace and really liked it...expected to continue buying from there.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Send them a comment/email online...hopefully if enough do, they will consider bringing it back.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I just bought four bags a couple weeks ago.  This must have been a very recent change.  I thought somebody on here posted that their local Ace was carrying it on the shelves right now.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Just contacted my local ACE and they are still carrying it as normal...
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    My local Ace said they would carry it if I requested it. They carry Cowboy now and he had no reason why they chose that brand.  He said it was no problem for them to switch to WG if needed.  This was about a month or so ago.
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Just picked 3 bags my ace ordered for me up here in NY
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Ace around me seem to not want to carry WGWW for some reason (probably to further their own brand).  I agree it's frustrating.  When it iis on the website and onsale, I will make an order and pickup, but the employees are always like "Why do you want this?".

In other news, I am getting Ozark Oak today (finally) and hopefully will be able to switch to this permanently.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    MO_Eggin said:
    I went to order more Wicked Good from the Ace Hardware website, and it is no longer listed.  Anyone have any insight?  Is it gone forever?  Thanks.
    You don't have to order online. Go into your local Ace Hardware and just tell them you want to order the SKU #8322786 and they can get it on their weekly order from their Distribution center. Retail should be in the low $20 range, maybe less. Many Ace stores don't stock it, but they can all get it. If they can get enough sales going, ask them to start stocking it. 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Thanks all.  @BillyRay, I've both ordered on line with ship to store and went into the store had them order it for me.  I didn't realize that the store could still get the product if it's no longer on the Ace website.  Despite having a very nice Q selection, my local Ace does not carry WGWW, only Cowboy, GoodOne and some mesquite lump (brand escapes me).  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Kamado Joe lump is replacing Wicked Good in the Ace warehouses.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    alynd said:
    Is this certain now? Sources? I still haven't found anything.

Thanks.
  • wibrewer
    wibrewer Posts: 24
    Don't they realize it's GRILLING SEASON?!?!  :))
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Ace in Atlanta has it in stock.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Ace in Macon GA has it
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Ace in Morganton, N.C.also has it . I just bought a bag today.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    Went in to ACE this past week and was able to order a bag. NW Ohio
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    My ACE in The Woodlands (TX) has ordered Wicked Good for me in the past and now stocks it along with Ozark Oak. HOORAY!! I use the Wicked Good for longer cooks and Ozark Oak for shorter cooks, primarily in my Mini.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • I ordered 5 bags today from Ace,  they said it will be in on tuesday.
    I went to bed last night mean and woke up meaner !  
    "Matt Dillon"

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited April 2013
    I punted and ordered it direct from wicked good.  It was a better deal on sale from Ace, but my supply is down to a couple cooks remaining so I had to take action.  Can't risk not being able to BBQ when the final four will be on. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    alynd said:

I emailed Ace today. Their response was that it has been removed from the website as their warehouse doesn't currently have any in stock. Said to keep checking the site as they as it will show up again on the site once they have some in the warehouse.
    XL BGE
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Ace is dropping WG for KJ. KJ comes from the same source as WG. Information from an ACE buyer. I bought the last bags of WG today from the WI warehouse. as of this morning there were only around 450 bags of WG left in Ace Warehouses across the nation. The KJ is in the system, but not yet stocked in the WI warehouse, not sure of others around the nation.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I have been hearing that WG and KJ is the same stuff for a long time and that it comes from the same source. Use of both products will show they are different. I live by an ol' saying....when a person tells you something, that person who told you is wrong 50% of the time because the person who told him was wrong 50% of the time. 

Another ol' saying:  "I'll believe it when I see it"

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • pswarren
    Springram, it sounds like you have first hand experience using both. Can you share that information with us? Or if anyone else has used both, I'm there are many of us who would like to hear about it.

And if the first person is wrong 50% and everyone else is 50% inherently wrong that tells you something, by your statement, wouldn't that make the second closer to 75% wrong? Your second statement is spot on!
  • pswarren
    pswarren said:
    Ace is dropping WG for KJ. KJ comes from the same source as WG. Information from an ACE buyer. I bought the last bags of WG today from the WI warehouse. as of this morning there were only around 450 bags of WG left in Ace Warehouses across the nation. The KJ is in the system, but not yet stocked in the WI warehouse, not sure of others around the nation.

I would like to stand corrected. Wicke Good and KJ are not the same! I have recently recieved information I am beyond confindent is accurate. I do not have any further specifics to share at this time, but I am hoping others with first hand experince will also chime in with differences they have witnessed.

I, like many of you are not happy about the decission ACE has made to stock KJ over Wicked Good. We are looking forward to still offering Wicked Good's charcoal at our sotres, even if it is not quite as easy to get as it has been over the last 10 months.

And, no, this does not apply to the 50% rule mentioned, this comes from the other 50%.

Happy Egging!

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Nothing wrong with the KJ I've used.  It's a dense South American charcoal just like WGWW.  Sparks about the same as WGWW.  Burns about the same duration as WGWW as well.  Both are an ok product IMO.

I've still got a few bags of KJ out there as well as some WGWW and don't have much preference between the two. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I just bought some Wicked Good from Ace in Alpharetta, Ga. they told me Wicked good warehouse is out of stock and he bought the last pallets they had. The do plan on still carrying it when it is available.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    As of 10 minutes ago, I bought some from an ACE in Atlanta.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2