Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Thanks to @LTAFlynEgg post about wings last week, I knew I had to try my hand at making Garlic Parmesan Wings. I tried making these one time before, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use parmesan cheese from the green can or shred my own parmesan cheese. I went with the later and it didn't turn out so well. This time I went with the green can (Parmesan & Romano cheese to be exact) Much better this time.

Since I was dining alone, the MINI got put into action, indirect at 400F, no wood for smoke.

They were done in about 30 minutes

Tossed in the sauce and then "Basketed Up"

Big thanks to LTA for the inspiration and also @Dyal_SC who was kind enough to answer my text about how much baking powder to add to help crisp up the wings. I think it really does help and I'm glad that I didn't have to get out a shovel and dig through all the wing posts on this forum to find that nugget of knowledge. This batch was a million more times successful than the last time I tried them. Garlicky and Parmesany crispy wonderfullness. I'd skip the Ranch or Bleu Cheese for these ones, though. All I used it for was the celery. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Well that just went to the top of the cooking list.  Why would the cancheese be better than using fresh Romano and Parm mix?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    These wings look great, i have to try this !!
  • Griffin
    Now that I think back harder on it (it was awhile ago), the first time I did it, I used pre-shredded parm that you get in the little plastic tubs at the store (not the powdered stuff in the green can) and it just sat in my sauce when I heated it up. It never melted and didn't coat the wings evenly. The stuff in the green can just dissovled in the sauce and you got that flavor from every bite. But you got me thinking and I always have a triangle of parmesan cheese in my fridge and when I use a microplane grater over my pizza, it always melts. Hmmm...guess there is a difference between pre-shredded parm and good quality parm and how fine it is grated. Great (pun intended). Now I'm going to have to make these again and use finely grated good quality parm and see how that turns out. The things I'll do for you. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Great looking cook, I will add this one to my wing-to-do list!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Looks great!   I love wings and could eat about just any combination :)
    Large BGE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looking great Griffin. I love me some wings too. I need to get some of those baskets! I like easy cleanup and do not like paper plates.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks good Griff. Will try these wings. (like the idea of the quick home made rub)
    I'd bet the wedge of Parma in the fridge may be the real McCoy, so as to speak - it is from Italy. Micro-planes very well and melts like, well like cheese. The pre-shredded stuff is often a domestic knock off and although it may have a similar smell and taste (OK on pasta), it does not have the same "cooking" properties. 
    The powdered stuff is OK in some sauces where Parma is not the main event. I also like the powdered stuff mixed with Panko for oven breaded chicken. It is all good - just different.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That sounds good.... got to try
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    can you post the recipe please?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sounds really good. I didn't have much success with corn starch last time so I have gone back to sticky wings, but these sound really good so I will give it another shot. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin

Totally agree @nolaegghead, that's why I don't buy it anymore either.

@henapple only because you said please. (Recipes are always posted on the blog, though)

Ingredients

(For 16 whole wings or 32 flats and drummetes. )

For the rub:

• 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1 tsp dried rosemary
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • 1/2 tsp thyme
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder (this won’t add flavor, but will help you achieve crispy skin on the wings)

For the sauce:

• 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 tsp lemon juice
    • 1/4 cup grate Parmesan & Romano Cheese (in the green can)
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • couple of turns of the pepper grinder
    • salt to taste

Cooked indirect at 400F for about 30 minutes. Didn't use any smoke as I didn't think it would pair well.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Oh, I cut the rub in that recipe in half as I only did 8 flats and 8 drummettes. Still made the full recipe of the sauce which was too much, but oh well.

Rowlett, Texas

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    can you post the recipe please?
    Go to Griffin's Grub, see the link at the end of the OP. Lots of good stuff there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    I'll follow your blog if you'll finish the damn recipe. rub, dunk, cook or rub, cook, dunk. May I please, on bended knee, have the web address and I'll bookmark it. Thanks
  • Griffin

Instructions

1. Set up your grill for an indirect cook and pre-heat to 400F.
    2. Combine the ingredients for the rub. If you have a spice grinder, grind them up to a powder.
    3. Dust the chicken wings liberally with the rub.
    4. Place the chicken on the grill (making sure not to be directly over flame or charcoal) and cook for about 15 minutes. Flip and cook for another 15 minutes. Chicken is cooked safely when it reaches 165F, but wings can (and should) be cooked a bit higher in order for the fat to render off and to allow the skin to crisp up. 175 and even 180 would be good. Cook until crispy.
    5. While the chicken is cooking, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Add the remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
    6. When the chicken is done, remove to a large heat proof bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
    7. Serve with celery and/or carrots and your favorite dipping sauce. (I actually thought there was no need for a sauce they were so good.)

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    Thanks.. will follow
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Bookmarked, will definatley  try these
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    I've been wanting to make these since having them at a restaurant a while back. Thanks for sharing. Do you feel the baking powder gains something that corn starch wouldn't?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Griffin
    I originally texted @Dyal_SC about corn starch. For some reason that was in my head, but he said he uses baking powder. Not sure about the corn starch. Is that something you use @JerkChicken ?

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Baking powder is frequently used on chicken in Chinese cooking - good example is moo goo gai pan.  It's more of a marination step, but it changes the texture - makes it more silky.
    Looks phantastic, Grif! I always coat my wings in the baking powder before placing on the rub. Never tried mixing it together like that before. Not sure if there would be any difference.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Another great one Griff! On my list.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    A lot of people use corn starch to help crisp up Spatchcock etc. , so I was wondering why this would be different.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks really good, Griffin !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I did some of my wings with corn starch, I just dumped some in a ziplock, then took wings with evoo and s&p all ready on them, and "breaded" before cooking, gave a nice crisp finish and great texture, if you like breaded wings.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Anyone see an issue doing these high in the dome direct?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Greeno55 said:
    Anyone see an issue doing these high in the dome direct?
    Nope. You just need to turn them every so often.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've been doing wings raised direct and they turn out excellent.