Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain cook question

Looks like I have to do a rain cook tomorrow. I've seen many posts indicating that the egg handles bad weather with no problem. What about covering the top?   Necessary?  With the daily wheel mostly closed it doesn't seem like it would be a problem - but what about with the top open (not dome,  but top) like for pizza?   Any need to cover, or not a big issue unless it's raining really hard?   thanks....

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    You might want to rig up some umbrella or some kind of protection if you are doing pizza, as you need to be close by to spin the pie around and make sure not to burn it. I wouldn't worry about rain getting into the egg as much as you will probably be soaked cooking pizza in the elements. Here is a cheap way I covered my small when doing a spatchcock one day. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
  • I did ribs for four hours tonight, had moderate rain 2nd half of the cook, wasn't a problem, but I did put the ribs on a tray with foil to wrap the racks in foil, and to add sauce. Making two Extra trips in and out of the house was a pain, but kept everything dry and at temp. Lighting the bge in more than a light rain could prove to be a challenge? Going to look around for a rain cap like some folks have been posting pics of.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    I cook in the rain all the time. Last week I cook in a hail storm. Made ribs and a butt with bacon wrapped shrimp and chicken. I am trying to build a patio but it just will not stop raining. I use something like solson005 to cover my vent then cook away. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    I bought a 6 inch Master Flow Vent Cap at Home Depot for $10. and it has worked great for keeping the inside of my LBGE dry - me, not so much. Check it out on their website.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I bought a galvanized chimney top for about $7 for when its really pouring rain such as thinderstorms. W. the daisy on for most cooks, light rains, unless they last all night, aren't really a problem. There may be a damp spot on the food.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Great - I'll check out those ideas, thanks. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013

I don't think a little rain hurts anything, but if it's really nasty, I use this bad boy I got at one of the "big box" stores for $8.  It even fits over the DFMT if needed.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

I don't think a little rain hurts anything, but if it's really nasty, I use this bad boy I got at one of the "big box" stores for $8.  It even fits over the DFMT if needed.

"Zactly what I have.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    That looks perfect! How much does it affect the temp?
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I got one of those vent caps, too.  It works well even in a pouring rain but I seldom use it because the umbrella (borrowed from the picnic table) does a good job of sheltering the egg AND the cook except in driving rain.  (The cook gets wet, then.)