Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Sandwich Pictures

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a BGE Half Moon CI grill grate this past weekend and have been chomping at the bit since then wanting to use it. Tonight was my chance. I made Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches with Horseradish Cream Sauce from the BGE Cookbook. My wife and I can eat breakfast anytime of day and this sandwich used beef tenderloin steak.

The sun is setting and the Egg is lit with the cast iron grill grate & half moon cast iron grill grate install flat top side up. We are shooting for a 400 degree cooking temperature.

The horseradish cream sauce used horseradish, sour cream, chives, kosher salt & black pepper.

The grill is stabilized at 400 degrees and everything is out at the Egg and ready to go.

The first step is to toast the sandwich sized English muffins. This recipe is written for 4 & I reduced it to two. The English muffins would have had to be done in two batches if I was making this recipe for 4. 

The muffins are toasted. The griddle grate gave the muffins a nice even golden brown toasting.

The toasted muffins are brushed with the horseradish cream sauce.

The steaks are on the open grill grate.

The steaks have been cooked for 4 minutes on the first side and have just been flipped. The eggs are cooking on the flattop griddle. I need to work on my egg cracking technique. 

The steaks are finishing up and the eggs have been topped with cheddar cheese.

Time to assemble the sandwiches. The steak goes on first and gets topped with some more horseradish sauce.

The egg & cheese go on next.

The sandwich gets topped with the other English muffin half and goes back on the Egg for a minute to reheat everything.

Time to eat!

The sandwich was excellent. The tenderloin was cut with a fork, melt in your mouth tender. The horseradish sauce was nice & tangy. I was really pleased with this first effort using the half moon ci griddle grate.

This sandwich was a real winner. I do have a couple tweaks I will make next time. I wasn't able to get fresh chives at my trip to the stupidmarket  so I had to use jarred chives. Next time I will use fresh chives because I really couldn't taste the chives in the cream sauce, But with the fresh horseradish even fresh chives may not have been able to come to the front. Also I used mild cheddar cheese and next time I will use sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese. The other surprise to me (which shouldn't have been one) was how tender the beef tenderloin steak was. In my mind I was worried seeing a 3/4" thick steak and I put out steak knives for the sandwiches. Not needed, I was thinking steak, not tenderloin. The meat was super tender and super moist. I will be making this again real soon.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments