Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Egrets Ham Tips or Suggestions?

Options
First time doing a ham in the egg. I have chosen the Egrets Recipe. Does any one have any tips such as should I cut slits in ham or leave it alone.  How should I start my fire, how much lump. Im doing this for Easter and don't really want to mess up. I will be feeding lots of people with it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jeff
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I have two I'm getting ready to pull out of the fridge to cook! I never slit mine. I just start the fire in the middle and when clean burning at around 300* put the wood in. Let the wood smoke a while to get rid of most of that initial white smoke. I've cooked these anywhere from 250* to 325* with great success. Don't get wrapped around the axle with a certain temp. you're trying to achieve.......it's not that important. I don't know how large your ham is, but, put enough lump in for a several hour cook. I always fill mine up to the top of the firebox before lighting. This is an easy cook with a lot of leeway.....so, don't worry too much over it. It'll be just fine!! :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Here's a tip. Don't use a spiral sliced ham :\"> (like I did)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    From the man himself. Thank you Egret. I have a 10lbs ham how long do you think it will take to cook? 

Thanks again Jeff
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Just prep it the day before and it will be great! I did a spiral sliced one for Christmas and used maple crown royal for the bourbon and it came out awesome! Spiral sliced was easy to spread the paste on all the slices but hard to inject.. Pros and cons for both types.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    Just prep it the day before and it will be great! I did a spiral sliced one for Christmas and used maple crown royal for the bourbon and it came out awesome! Spiral sliced was easy to spread the paste on all the slices but hard to inject.. Pros and cons for both types.
    Yeah, all I had was a fresh (non cooked, non cured ham) and a spiral. I am rolling with the spiral. Injecting it was pretty much pointless but the paste did stay on there pretty good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Egret's Ham....Making Families Proud Since '04

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • egret
    Options
    From the man himself. Thank you Egret. I have a 10lbs ham how long do you think it will take to cook? 

Thanks again Jeff
    Jeff, it depends on what temp. you're cooking at, of course. It should take 4-5 hours.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Is there a link to the recipe available? All this ham talk is giving me ideas.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egret
    Options
    caliking said:
    Is there a link to the recipe available? All this ham talk is giving me ideas.
    Here you go :

Maple-Bourbon Ham

by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients:

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)

10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section) 

1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup

Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation:

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).

Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).

Stabilize egg at 250℉ with plate setter (legs up) and regular grid on plate setter. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140°. (this should take about 5 hours). 

Maple-Bourbon Paste:

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup

2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper

2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard

1 Tbls. Bourbon

1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil

1 Tbls. Paprika

1 Tbls. Onion Powder 

2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt