Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One last question?

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a LBGE and also the adj rig with ext and oval stone with slide guides.There is one thing I need to understand.Most also order the spider and 13" ceramic stone to go along with the R&B oval combo my question is why? Now this isn't a critisism on CGS at all as there there products are obviously superb and so is there customer service.I just want to understand why people order this set-up when they can cook all on the r&b combo already? Chicken,ribs ,brisket are all done  on the rig with oval stones so why would you require the spider and oval stone for reasons other than woking? I love the set-up just want to make sure I don't order moreor less than what I need.

THANKS AGAIN.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    The spider is good to put a CI grid on to get you closer to the lump for searing. It's also good to get your stock grate at felt level. I also use it inverted on top of my PS with a stone on top for pizzas.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    There many combinations to accomplish the many good meals produced on the egg.  I went with the plate setter and the BGE three tiered adjustable set up.  It works for me, and it has some good things and some bad things.  What ever works for you and you have all the bases covered allowing you to cook direct or indirect is what counts.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    My mistake.... I meant spider and "round" stone not oval to go along with R&B oval combo!!!!

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I use the round stone as a indirect piece at the bottom of the grill so you can do multiple things with it.  Still thinking about ordering the oval stone but the round stone is a little more of an all purpose stone.  It's also a great pizza stone in the egg or the oven. But I'm sure you can do everything with the oval setup.  I actually have the oval grates and use the round stone so I can add smoking wood to a cook at anytime without adjusting the rig itself. Never have bought the round grids besides the one that came with the egg.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I use the spider with CI grid but not the 13" stone. (Yet). If you use the spider and stone with the AR for indirect, you can cook on 3 or even 4 levels if you have an extra grid and the extender. That's a lotta wings :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The spider is versatile. Like CT said, if you put it in the down position and put your round stone in, this puts your indirect piece lower in the firebox making more room for multi tier cooks with bulk like butts as opposed to just ribs.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CANMAN1976

I understand now, thanks guys for the info. For large cooks and searing down low this would be very helpful indeed.

Time to place my order:)

• Charlie tuna
    What would be the Ceramic Grill Store's set up for maximizing grill surfaces but high in the dome? 
  • CANMAN1976
    What would be the Ceramic Grill Store's set up for maximizing grill surfaces but high in the dome? 

Adj Rig extender.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    call tom at the cgs, he will set you up with what you need for how you cook, no one knows his stuff better. his number is on the site. my rig is basic, no slides, round grates, and a spider. i didnt need any frills
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    I am happy with the three level grill from BGE, it works, but i am also spoiled and looking for better methods of cooking my sides along with the main course.  The center post of the BGE grill is an issue, but then the CGS unit may not have room , or the selection of room, for these sides?  And it looks like i would need at least three grids to do what i want.  That starts driving the cost over the top!!