Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip Recipes

Options
Yes I searched!!!

Anyone got any? Found out I am cooking tri-tip on Saturday night.

Comments

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    Look up the eggs by the bay recipe. It's the best I've ever had hands down.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012
    Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Options
    I've wanted to butterfly a tri tip.....sea salt and black pepper!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    This is Guy Fieri's version and it was the best one I've ever made. 

Ingredients

2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    1/3 cup fresh cracked black pepper
    1/2 cup garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons Achiote Oil, recipe follows
    1 (3 to 4-pound) prime tri-tip roast
    Directions
    Combine the granulated garlic and pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Mince the garlic and slowly incorporate the salt and sugar, alternating, to create a paste. Add the Achiote Oil and mix well. Be careful, this oil will stain.

Rinse and pat dry the roast and rub with the garlic paste, evenly coating the meat. Sprinkle evenly with the granulated garlic and pepper mixture and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours and up to 48 hours.

Remove the wrap and allow the roast to rest while you preheat a well-oiled grill to medium-high heat. Add the roast and cook for 9 minutes, turn, repeat and check the temperature. Once 90 degrees F is achieved, turn the middle burner to high and sear all sides of the roast. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, loosely covered with aluminum foil.

Slice across the grain in thin (1/8-inch) pieces, drizzle any juices that have accumulated back onto the sliced meat and serve immediately.

Cook's Note: serve with either a cabernet sauvignon or lager beer.

Achiote Oil:
    1 1/2 tablespoons achiote seeds
    1/2 cup canola oil
    In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add the seeds and toast for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the oil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. The oil will become bright orange. Immediately remove from the heat, cool and strain. Store the oil in a glass container in the refrigerator. The oil will keep for several months. Yield: 1/2 cup

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/santa-maria-tri-tip-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Options
    I usually just do a reverse sear, just like a steak, and make sure you slice against the grain.  I also like a nice fat cap on my try tips and remove the fat after the cook.  But lately, all the try-tips I have seen have been trimmed and the fat cap removed.  I did one a few months ago that was lacking the Fat Cap, so I just draped Bacon over the meat before cooking... OMG fork tender.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I always season simple, and sear, since it cooks so fast!  I usually have everything ready to eat BRFORE i even start the tri-tip.  Slice and serve at the table.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    use morrobayrichs recipe and make the oil infused a day ahead, its pretty much the only recipe i baste with on the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'll take my tri tip, and marinade it in the fridge for a couple of days before I cook it.  I marinade it in a zip loc bag along with:

Worcestershire sauce
    Minced Garlic
    Honey
    Byrons Butt Rub
    Cracked Pepper

My buddy in LA who turned me on to Tri Tip provided me with this.  I've always done them this way and loved them.  To each their own.

Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio