Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huge Bone-In Ribeye

Options

I am going to pick up bone-in ribeye (2" thick or bigger) from Slagel Family Farms for dinner on Saturday. If you're in the Chicago area this farm produces some really good heritage breed pork. I had some of their pork chops last weekend and they were excellent. This is my first time trying there steak. Going to do a simple seasoning of just salt and pepper. Maybe a little garlic powder. Going to roast at 250 indirect, and then sear at the end. My question is what is a good finishing sauce/butter. I was thinking of some sort of compound butter.  I need something that will enhance the flavor, not overpower it.  I am open to suggestions, so let me know what you would do. 

Thanks.  I will try and remember to post pictures.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing how your steak comes out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Soften the butter then add aromatics like aliums and herbs. Garlic, shallots, thyme, rosemary, sage, onions, chives, basil, parsley, dill, maybe some EVOO. It all depends on what profile you're looking for. Mix the stuff up, then wrap in parchment to form a log(like a candy wrapper). Chill and cut off a piece like you would with a regular stick of butter.

I do a basic one with thyme, shallots, and garlic; similar to a pan sauce. 

All of these things are fat soluble. As they are heated, their flavor compounds(oils) start releasing. All you need on the steak is salt, maybe pepper(you can add the peeper during the rest) for cooking. Stick the butter on while the steak rests for 5-10 minutes. As the butter melts from the residual heat of the plate, those flavors are released and go where the butter goes.

You can even do this with Olive oil. Mix some of the additives to the oil and pour it on the steak just like you would the butter. A little better for you but I would go whole hog with that bad boy.