Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Chiminea OT

I cheated on my dealer (sorry Kevin!).  I was at my sister's vet clinic yesterday and around the corner from her is a BGE dealer who sells Dizzy Pig.  I thought I needed some Red Eye Express and Cow Lick for a couple of corned beefs I have going today.  I'm familiar with this dealer because he's located down the street from my Dad's nursing home and I usually stopped in to boost my spirits after visiting Dad.  Anyway, I saw the BGE chiminea in the window with a sign so faded, I couldn't read the price.  I walked out of there with it for $275.  It included the stand and a useless porcelin coated grid.  Wilma thinks I'm a little eccentric to use a nice word.  I fired it up today using some lump and it does a good job if you're close to it.  I haven't made a roaring fire in it ...yet.

I took some photos for this thread, but the camera's batteries died before I could photo the corned beefs.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    you're a huge # :-[$
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred,That looks like a good find. I don't post much, but i try to catch up when i can. I  went to Gundry ,Holmes and Northwestern. Spent my entire childhood on Cranwood Drive and loved it. Now I'm in Kingston Georgia and love it here, except for the Poison Oak that i currently find myself involved with. I left Flint in 1983 for the same reasons you have listed on your profile. My Son was born and i didn't want him to go through the same things i did. I miss  Flint, but not the nonsense that goes on daily. It feels good to read from someone who lives where i did, "Just saying."

Peace brother, Bob  T
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Excellent, will be in the yard for years and a great spot to gather round while the egg is "chugging" along. Super find - i wish our fire department allowed them.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Are they no longer made? I don't see them on the BGE site anymore but my dealer has one. I haven't asked since I stopped seeing it.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Are they no longer made? I don't see them on the BGE site anymore but my dealer has one. I haven't asked since I stopped seeing it.
    pretty sure they are discontinued, my dealer has one too they said it is "just for show" when i asked about it.  some locations like atlanta seem to have some demand for them and they are sold on craigslist  a lot.
  • Eggcelsior
    I'll have to ask mine what she wants for it if for sale.
  • They're no longer being made. I remembered it in the dealer's window, but I hadn't been there since Sept. When I was there yesterday, I noticed the sign on it was ultra faded and also the mini in the window was old. It had the loose style handle. I figured he would deal a bit. I'm really looking forward to using it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    They're no longer being made. I remembered it in the dealer's window, but I hadn't been there since Sept. When I was there yesterday, I noticed the sign on it was ultra faded and also the mini in the window was old. It had the loose style handle. I figured he would deal a bit. I'm really looking forward to using it!
    thats exactly like how i got my mini for 250
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Hmm, always thought they were cool, too pricey for me. Now that they are dc'd I might just have to try and get the one at my dealer for a deal.

Can u put wood in it? Assume so. Is the grate so you can cook in it?

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple said:

@Fred19Flintstone...I don't know why that came out like that. it was supposed to be egghead. my droid updated this week and it's screwed up. sorry.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    henapple said:

henapple said:

@Fred19Flintstone...I don't know why that came out like that. it was supposed to be egghead. my droid updated this week and it's screwed up. sorry.
    Ha lol

XLBGE 
  • henapple said:

henapple said:

Wilma was looking at it & asked about it. I said I wasn't sure what you were calling me. You're usually nice.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MCN - Wilma found an "owner's manual" on line. Its 1 page. It says wood or lump is ok.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    I tried to decipher it too.

The best I could get is this:

I'm a big David Bowie fan too. I presumed that henapple recognized this in you so he gave the hashtag as the pseudo mullet and the dollar sign as the ascot/scarf thing. Labyrinth rocks!
  • henapple
    I use Swype and it was jacked up...I think I got it fixed.
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:
    I use Swype and it was jacked up...I think I got it fixed.
    Try Swiftkey. It has the swype feature too. I love it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I think if you take the cone part off the top and throw the grate on it, you can use if as a grill. Does anybody remember why they discontinued them? I seem to remember they broke a lot under heat. or mabye that's just regular chimineas....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Excellent, will be in the yard for years and a great spot to gather round while the egg is "chugging" along. Super find - i wish our fire department allowed them.....
    I heard some fire departments consider anything with a cooking grate a grill.  Maybe that's a stretch, or maybe that's a loophole.
    Griffin said:
    I think if you take the cone part off the top and throw the grate on it, you can use if as a grill. Does anybody remember why they discontinued them? I seem to remember they broke a lot under heat. or mabye that's just regular chimineas....
    when your drunk buddies start burning up the lawn furniture, stuff has a tendency to break...
    you've met my buddies?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Griffin said:
    you've met my buddies?
    I think we got the same buddies. That's the pot calling the kettle black...I was the worst.  In my younger days....hijinks was an art form.

My Dad:

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Flint, Michigan