Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Stew

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Had a hankering for beef stew, so I figured I would scratch that itch.

I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. Started out by marinating 2 ribeyes that I've had in the freezer for some time, in red wine, with garlic and bay leaves . I know - its daft to put ribeyes in stew, but we have been eating healthier and a solid hunka steak just doesn't have the same appeal that it used to. 

Meat marinated overnight. The next day (Sat) I fired up the large egg with a chunk of pecan for smoke. Once it hit 300°F, I put the dutch oven on and let it warm up. Added some of the trimmed fat from the ribeyes to get some beefy goodness going, then added the onions, celery, green onions, and some
 seasoning. 

Threw in carrots, potatoes, garlic and Simply Marvelous Season All. Also had diced jalapenos catching some smoke on the side.

Once everything in the pot had a chance to get friendly, I added mushrooms,and tomato paste, and 2 cups of beef stock. 

Placed the grid from the small egg over the DO for the steaks, and let them smoke (rubbed with SM Season All) for 40mins. 

Cut the steaks up and added to the pot. Let it all simmer for another hour.

Served with toasted oat-wheat bread that SWMBO made. 

Damn fine dinner... perfect for a cold March night in Houston :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments