Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Questions

I love venison and I was curious what cuts you have done on the egg and how you did them.

(Also, if you know a good place in the Atlanta area to buy venison I would love to know!  I've been relying on friends and I don't get a supply all that often.)
Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I don't do it too much different then beef. The big thing you have to remember is that there isn't much fat. So the times have to be adjusted so it doesn't dry it quickly
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I treat it pretty much like turkey, if I'm doing burgers I add a egg and bread crumbs to add fat to the mix. I know that defeats the purpose of being healthier but oh well.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 16
    There are 2 ways to cook venison low and slow....crock pots or Dutch ovens or hot and fast...hot egg direct heat works great....Loins are great marinated or just seasoned with salt/pepper or favorite rub, whole or cut into steaks....JUST DON'T OVERCOOK! Best venison will be pink to rare. Cook a whole loin just like beef tenderloin or pork loin. I'm from Wisconsin so can't help with finding a source in Atl...all of mine is harvested by me and my family....butchered by us as well. Hope this helps...
    Always having fun with the BGE!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I put mine in a plastic bag and in some hot water till it's 100° then grill like beef. It doesn't dry out with so little time on the grill but you still get the grill flavor.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig