Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy good Pork Chops in Chicago

I have seen a few post on here about pork chops and they all looked great.  Wanted to do some this weekend.  Does anyone know of a good source for pork chops.  The ones i find locally are typically too lean.  I am okay with mail order, but picking something up locally (Chicago - North Suburbs) would be better.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Try these guys. Used to be a cool old-fashioned butcher when I lived in Chicago.

paulinameatmarket.com/

3501 N Lincoln Ave  Chicago, IL 60657
    (773) 248-6272

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    pretty much anyplace that sells whole loins should be able to cut you some, you want the fatty end toward the front. problem is, even if there is some fat, they seem to have no flavor anymore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I guess i am looking for something from one of the heritage breeds of pig (Birkshire, Tamworth, Duroc, Gloucester Old Spot).  I know restaurants use these alot, but i cannot find a butcher or grocery store that carries these.  I would prefer not to mail order just because of the added cost.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've had wonderful sausages from Paulina Mkt, and also Publican Quality Meats. I would suppose their chops are as good. I've also read that the Butcher & Larder has fine meats. But no idea what breed of swine they have.

One of Publicans suppliers, Faith Farm, raises Berkshires, and sells at the 61st Street Farmers Market on Saturdays.

As far as I know, most of the heritage pork is sold to restaurants, hotels, etc, just like prime beef.

Mail order can be painful. The shipping can double the cost of already expensive products. Still, the mark-up from a restaurant is likely to be at least 300%.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I was looking at slagel family farms. There is a retailer in willmette il.