Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado recipes

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Cen-Tex-thanks for the brisket run-down.  When people who were sober (someone was?) give it the home-run then it's worth trying to capture.  I'm guessing you were 250*F on the cooking grate or was that dome-(won't matter much over 20 hrs though)?  Will have to adapt to the proverbial Kentucky Jelly flat and see what I get. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I cooked Pacific Rim Flank Steak.  On the way up, the meat fell off the bike, and a mobile phone booth (automobile) ran over it.  I think that made it more tender.  

Steak, Pacific Rim Flank

1-2 lb. Flank steak, or flap steak

1 cup Teriyaki Marinade

1/2 cup Onion , chopped

1/3 cup Honey

1/3 cup Orange juice, fresh

1 tablespoon Rosemary, chopped fresh

1 tablespoon Sesame Oil, dark

1 clove  Garlic

Pepper  

Directions:

1. Combine marinade ingredients, adding pepper as desired, in small bowl. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup for basting.

2. Lightly score both sides of beef steak in crisscross pattern with sharp knife. Place steak and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.

3. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 17 to 21 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally and basting with reserved 1/2 cup marinade during last 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Carve steak across the grain into thin slices; arrange on platter. Place remaining basting marinade in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Spoon over beef, as desired. Garnish with orange slices and rosemary sprigs, if desired. 

Notes:

This recipe won the 1997 National Beef Cooking contest, and it uses a relatively cheap cut of meat.  It is one of Pam's favorite recipes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2013
    lousubcap said:
    @Cen-Tex-thanks for the brisket run-down.  When people who were sober (someone was?) give it the home-run then it's worth trying to capture.  I'm guessing you were 250*F on the cooking grate or was that dome-(won't matter much over 20 hrs though)?  Will have to adapt to the proverbial Kentucky Jelly flat and see what I get. 
    Did someone say "Kentucky Jelly"?

Here's a 1 week supply for VI.  The reviews are hilarious.
    I posted my recipe card copied from a word document. I guess the folks at BGE thought it was too controversial.  
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot

Here's a 1 week supply for VI. 
    This has been a life saver for me.  Before I got my first 55 gallon drum of Passion, I was like the pathetic Nolaegghead and demented Cen-Tex. ..... insecure, ashamed of my physical appearance, and embarrassed about my, uh, LONGgevity (so to speak).  Passion has changed all that.  Now, I walk with pride... cocky, so to speak, and totally confident in my Eggfest "performances".

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• :))   I'm so glad you're posting again VI.  You make me laugh!
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Cen-Tex: That brisket was the bomb diggity!! The new standard against which my briskets will be measured. I blinked and it was gone - luckily I blinked *after* I got some.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nola's special cocktail recipe:

1) Pour out half a can of coke zero
    2) Fill can to brimming with Evan Williams Black
    3) lift can to mouth and ingest
    4) Repeat until fully baked (about 50 times if preparing for an small elephant.....or Nola)

I must say it did look lovely. I'll have to try it soon.

I don't know about wasteful... the creek was looking a little low.

But I think it took too much time. Revised recipe:
    1) Pour out half a can of coke zero  Take one Nola
    2) Fill can to brimming with Evan Williams Black
    3) lift can to mouth and ingest
    4) Repeat until fully baked (about 50 times if preparing for an small elephant.....or Nola)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wonder how many lies Pinocchio would need to tell to achieve the lengths of success that VI has?

VI vociferous virility was the vanguard of Salado. He displayed panties as his Vespa streamers to show the victorious conquest that was his "performance" at the Eggfest.
  • Village Idiot
    I wonder how many lies Pinocchio would need to tell to achieve the lengths of success that VI has?

VI vociferous virility was the vanguard of Salado. He displayed panties as his Vespa streamers to show the victorious conquest that was his "performance" at the Eggfest.
    I'm so proud !!!  :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    VI was wearing the 3 wolf moon T-shirt under his "My other bike is a Harley" T-shirt....
    I heard he looked like this:

Except the jeans were cut-off Daisy Dukes.
  • Village Idiot
    VI was wearing the 3 wolf moon T-shirt under his "My other bike is a Harley" T-shirt....

=)) ... I mean, .... image

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• RAC and Cali King- Thanks! Gad you like the brisket. It's always fun to do a good one for friends. We all know how they can be so I'll take them when I can get them.

NOLA- Hilarious

Eggcelsior- Hilarious

VI- Well played sir

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    RAC and Cali King- Thanks! Gad you like the brisket. It's always fun to do a good one for friends. We all know how they can be so I'll take them when I can get them.

NOLA- Hilarious

Eggcelsior- Hilarious

VI- Well played sir

I saw you unwraping it, went to get some and GONE................
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2013
    <P>Here's what I was going to make had I been able to go.</P>
    <P>
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%">
    <TBODY>
    <TR class=sectiontableentry1>
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%" align=right><B>Description:</B></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top width="80%">Satay: [Ckicken on a Stick (My Daughter)]<BR>I do this recipe several times a year. It always goes well and no leftovers especially if there are kids around I usually do pork tenderloin, boneless skinless chicken breast and thighs with the same marinade. The chicken breast I remove the filet and slice the breast lengthwise about the size of the tender. After the marinade I flatten the strips with the palm of my hand. Leave thighs whole.</TD></TR>
    <TR class=sectiontableentry2>
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%" align=right><B>Ingredients:</B></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top width="80%">
    <TABLE>
    <TBODY>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• ½</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>lb</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>unsalted butter</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• ¼ </SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>brown sugar</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• ½</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>chopped onion</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 1</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>naturally brewed soy sauce</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• ¼</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>grated ginger</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 1</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>kecap manis (indonesian sweet soy sauce)</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• ¼ </SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>lemon juice</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• ½</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Cup</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>teriaki sauce</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 1</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit></SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>zest from 1 lemon</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 30</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit></SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>or so bamboo skewers</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 6</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Clove</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>garlic (rough chop)</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 2</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit></SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>pork tenderloins</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 2</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Tbs</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>or more hot chile flakes</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• </SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_unit></SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>Katjup Manis = equal parts molasses, teriaki and soy sauce</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 3</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Tbs</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>coriander seed</SPAN></TD>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• bunch </SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_unit></SPAN><SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>coriander/cilantro leaves as garnish</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 2</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Tbs</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>cumin seed</SPAN></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD><SPAN class=recipe_quantity>• 1</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_unit>Tbs</SPAN> <SPAN class=recipe_ingredient>mustard seed</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR>
    <TR class=sectiontableentry1>
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%" align=right><B>Instructions:</B></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top width="80%">Soak skewers in water<BR>Toast coriander, cumin chile flakes and mustard seeds in cast iron pan until fragrant (pungent). Break with mortar and pestle.<BR>Melt butter in saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger and lemon zest over medium heat until onion is transparent.<BR>Add spices, lemon juice, teriaki soy and ketjap manis and boil 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature<BR>Cut pork into 1" pieces and pound flat ¼"-3/8". pour ½ the marinade into a glass pan, layer pork pieces cover with remaining marinade. Move meat around so all is coated in marinade. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and marinate two days refrigerated<BR>
    <P>Skewer pork pieces. Reserve marinade. Set BGE to 325 with a flat, even bed of coals. Place skewers on grill close lid for 5 minutes. Open lid, look for even browning on pieces, turn and rearrange if there are hot spots. Cook for another five minutes and check colour for doneness. Any satays that are not brown and caramelised can be finished with the lid open.<BR>Srain marinade if desired bring to a boil for five minutes</P></TD></TR>
    <TR class=sectiontableentry2>
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%" align=right><B>Notes:</B></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top width="80%">Serve satay as a meal with rice and salad with a little of the marinade drizzled over the rice.<BR>Serve as an appetizer with spicy peanut sauce (commercial brand or blend chunky peanut butter, fish sauce, thai chili sauce, cashews and peanut oil to a mayonnaise consistency)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap said:
    estimated 230-250 dome until I got home and stabilized it. I would have cooked it hotter but I was gone all day at a concert and didn't want it to be done too soon. I didn't see it for 14 hours and I don't use a stoker or digi q or anything to keep track of it when I'm gone. I did it manually by calling my 17 year old from the concert and yelling "what's the temp (dome)" ? and then the phone would cut off for an hour because of the extra 300k people in Austin for SXSW. I would then get a call back saying "under 250"! but that was an hour old by the time I got it and couldn't get a call back out. So I had 4 more beers then got a call out to tell him to open the draft door an inch or so and leave it alone. That all took about 3-4 hours so I have no idea what it was doing during that time.  It was definitely slower than my normal cooks and I was using the dome temp so I'm guessing 250 dome............that settles it.........what I'm really saying is 

:-/
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wait wait. CT at SXSW while 17 year old stays home watching the cook?

Me: coolest guy ever.

CT's progeny: Screw you dad.
  • Wait wait. CT at SXSW while 17 year old stays home watching the cook? Me: coolest guy ever. CT's progeny: Screw you dad.

all true, but I would have taken him in a second. Our venue was 21 and up with no exceptions so I couldn't get him in my own freaking corporate event.  His favorite band was playing and I hung out with them for 2 hours after the show drinking beer. I sent him pics but he was somehow still not happy for me.
  • Little Steven
    Not Carolyn Wonderland I assume?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Not Carolyn Wonderland I assume?

No. Frightened Rabbit. he's met them before at another show we went to 2 years ago. great guys. Nicest rockers you'll ever meet.
  • Little Steven
    Funny, I have met the guys in Billy Talent. Don't know if you get them down there but all are really good guys

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2013

The Brisket:

12 lb choice Packer
    Fat cap trimmed to 1/8" or so. All hard fat trimmed off.
    Apply Bad Byron's Butt Rub until you can no longer see the grain of the meat (Bad Byron's can be very salty so don't go nuts. Just a light coating until it's covered is plenty)
    250 for 20 hours (205 point, 198 flat) over Ozark Oak and 4 decent sized Oak Chunks
    4 hour cooler rest (psssst- this is the secret. Don't tell anyone)

Then, drink you weight in shiner bock and vodka soda before slicing and serve to strangers with your hands

I heard the brisket was the bomb..but a
    little bird told me that your recipe was more like this:

Step 1: wake up at 6am and start off with a Bloody Mary
    Step 2: drive to Franklins with a ice chest loaded with beer and liquor.
    Step 3: wait, drink, wait, drink, drink
    Step 4: order a 12# whole brisket
    Step 5: Throw brisket in the empty chest that you killed while waiting in line.
    Step 6: 4 hour cooler rest while driving to Fest (psssst- this is the secret. Don't tell anyone).
    Step 7: Then, drink you weight in shiner bock and vodka soda before slicing and serve to strangers with your hands

I'm trying not believe it, but I honestly think Travis is just mad the brisket wasn't prepared using his method.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Funny. Nola, centex, and I had a good long talk about "my method".
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy said:

The Brisket:

12 lb choice Packer
    Fat cap trimmed to 1/8" or so. All hard fat trimmed off.
    Apply Bad Byron's Butt Rub until you can no longer see the grain of the meat (Bad Byron's can be very salty so don't go nuts. Just a light coating until it's covered is plenty)
    250 for 20 hours (205 point, 198 flat) over Ozark Oak and 4 decent sized Oak Chunks
    4 hour cooler rest (psssst- this is the secret. Don't tell anyone)

Then, drink you weight in shiner bock and vodka soda before slicing and serve to strangers with your hands

I heard the brisket was the bomb..but a
    little bird told me that your recipe was more like this:

Step 1: wake up at 6am and start off with a Bloody Mary
    Step 2: drive to Franklins with a ice chest loaded with beer and liquor.
    Step 3: wait, drink, wait, drink, drink
    Step 4: order a 12# whole brisket
    Step 5: Throw brisket in the empty chest that you killed while waiting in line.
    Step 6: 4 hour cooler rest while driving to Fest (psssst- this is the secret. Don't tell anyone).
    Step 7: Then, drink you weight in shiner bock and vodka soda before slicing and serve to strangers with your hands

I'm trying not believe it, but I honestly think Travis is just mad the brisket wasn't prepared using his method.
    I am certainly not above such things....

• cazzy

Funny. Nola, centex, and I had a good long talk about "my method".

I would have loved to be there. Did you ever expect it to blow up bigger than the Harlem Shake?
  • It was pretty funny. I'm going to run the view count up even higher now that I know it drives him nuts (and that.....gasp.......he doesn't even cook that way anymore.) What are the people to do?

• cazzy
    edited March 2013

It was pretty funny. I'm going to run the view count up even higher now that I know it drives him nuts (and that.....gasp.......he doesn't even cook that way anymore.) What are the people to do?

I think we should make a post monthly that links noobs to that thread so everyone knows how he does it! :D

• can I like twice?

• Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX