Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado recipes

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Thought I'd share my two cooks at Salado. I hope others will because i missed a bunch of them.
My first was stuffed pears. Red pears, peeled halved and hollowed out. I stuffed them with cream and cheddar cheese and walnuts, wrapped in Wright's bacon. I dusted with a rub i get in Nashville. I like goat cheese better but the kids hate it so i went with the normal. Try the goat cheese.
Stuffed poblanos were next. Roasted, peeled then cut a line down one side and filled with 3 pepper cheese, black beans, Chorizo, wrapped in bacon, a little swamp venom and served with a chilled corn salsa. I use habanero at home but couldn't find it in Waco.
All in all i was pleased.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Thanks for sharing.  You got any pix?
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    imageimage
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Congrats henapple-not only do you bust your butt with manual labor but throw down some great sounding cooks.  Can't believe you couldn't find habanero in Salado but stranger things have happened I guess. Sounds like one hell of a great time.  Perhaps next year for me-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Y'all made some gor-met tasty schtuff!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    Did the same cook for Salado as Plano. NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos This pic is the last one cooked at the house, same type ham. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Thanks for sharing.  You got any pix?

I was so busy picking up shiner and coke zero cans i totally forgot. I actually didn't even get a bite of the pears...i did steal the last pepper though.

I couldn't find habanero cheese but i only hit two places.
  • That's what I'm thinking will happen to me.  I'll get so busy cooking that I'll forget to enjoy myself.

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    I dunno where all those coke zero cans came from.  There were dozens. ;)
    I could tell you were watching your waistline....the way you poured half of the coke zero out.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Does anybody know the recipe - or who cooked - the apple tart toward the end of the day in Salado? Seemed to be Pillsbury dough wrapped around several thin slices of apple.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nola's special cocktail recipe:

1) Pour out half a can of coke zero
    2) Fill can to brimming with Evan Williams Black
    3) lift can to mouth and ingest
    4) Repeat until fully baked (about 50 times if preparing for an small elephant.....or Nola)

I must say it did look lovely. I'll have to try it soon.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Ratio is a little exaggerated, that's the gist of it.  :D

Travis told me to add a little of Gary's vanilla extract to make it x-tra special - tried it and it does (didn't they used to have Vanilla Coke?)
    Nola's special cocktail recipe:

1) Pour out half a can of coke zero
    2) Fill can to brimming with Evan Williams Black
    3) lift can to mouth and ingest
    4) Repeat until fully baked (about 50 times if preparing for an small elephant.....or Nola)

I must say it did look lovely. I'll have to try it soon.

Kinda wasteful no? Couldn't you find an empty can in a dumpster?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ratio is a little exaggerated, that's the gist of it.  :D

Travis told me to add a little of Gary's vanilla extract to make it x-tra special - tried it and it does (didn't they used to have Vanilla Coke?)
    They still do. They have vanilla coke zero as a matter of fact. It's great but I'm sure Gary's extract is way better than some chemical flavor cooked up in the Coke labs
  • nolaegghead
    Maybe a little wasteful - I try pouring in a dry potted plant.

Gary's extract is excellent, and very concentrated (as I found out pouring too much in my first drink)...

"Kinda wasteful no? Couldn't you find an empty can in a dumpster?"

That's Canadian thinking.  In Texas being wasteful is viewed positively. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    That was perhaps the best brisket I've ever tasted.  Of course I don't live in Texas anymore.

Going here tonight.  Ate there once before.  Stike would love it - so much charcutterie, so little time.

Going here tonight.  Ate there once before.  Stike would love it - so much charcutterie, so little time.
    Thank you sir. Simple but pretty tasty. 

• Quite a little wednesday night you have planned. That place looks awesome

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    henapple said:
    Stuffed poblanos were next. Roasted, peeled then cut a line down one side and filled with 3 pepper cheese, black beans, Chorizo, wrapped in bacon, a little swamp venom and served with a chilled corn salsa. I use habanero at home but couldn't find it in Waco. All in all i was pleased.
    OH MY GOD THOSE SOUND AMAZING AND JUST TOPPED MT TODO LIST
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Got censored again. Geez. Guess it's not OK to say Thank you anymore.But thank you Nola. 

• nolaegghead
    John Folse is one of the cooking gods down here.  Literally wrote the encyclopedia on creole and cajun cooking.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Folse
    That was perhaps the best brisket I've ever tasted.  Of course I don't live in Texas anymore.

That place is friggin insane! We ate there at Nola's recommendation sat surrounded by the Charcuterie cabinets. I think it was just over $2k for 7 of us I was very glad I didnt have to pay! 
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    Glad you liked it @double.  Alcohol can make the bill skyrocket.  The food is pretty reasonably priced (still ain't cheap).  Co-worker in town from corporate office is picking up the bill :)  I've thrown a BBQ party once a week for the last three weeks for corporate visitors, so I think I'm due some payback :D
    Here's my experimental pastrami recipe if I haven't listed it.

12# brisket - trimmed all visible fat.  (prolly coulda just trimmed down to 1/8th")
    3/4 oz #1 cure
    Mickey's coffee rub (with cocoa powder added)
    Sealed in sous vide bag.  Refrigerated 2 days.  Dumped right in sous vide bath for 72 hours at 138F. 

At fest, reheated at 131 for an hour and a half, then seared on egg.
    For sure $240 btls of wine add up. I thought the food was really reasonable and totally worth it. The Charcutarie plate was great.
    Lynnwood WA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    The Brisket:

12 lb choice Packer
    Fat cap trimmed to 1/8" or so. All hard fat trimmed off.
    Apply Bad Byron's Butt Rub until you can no longer see the grain of the meat (Bad Byron's can be very salty so don't go nuts. Just a light coating until it's covered is plenty)
    250 for 20 hours (205 point, 198 flat) over Ozark Oak and 4 decent sized Oak Chunks
    4 hour cooler rest (psssst- this is the secret. Don't tell anyone)

Then, drink you weight in shiner bock and vodka soda before slicing and serve to strangers with your hands

That was some gooooood brisket! Some of the best i have had. Only lasted about 5 minutes.

Ricky

Boerne, TX