Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

squid

Options
So I got some squid, anyone got any good ideas for these on the egg? Gumbo? Ummmm smoked? Just looking for ideas, I have to get 3 lbs. I wanted just one. image

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Clean them and then cut body open so it will lay flat (cook bodies and tenticles separately). then fast and hot (400 degrees no more than a 1-2 per side max)- I would go with light olive oil and s/p. don't cook too long or get tough. They are really good- you can add some lemon juice while on the grill. They will go opaque when cooked
    Greensboro, NC
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I'm with Wolfpack..but I like a screaming hot fire, and around a minute per side. They are great glazed very quickly with a mixture of ketchup and hoisin sauce.  Can't tell how big those are, but squids with 6-8 inch bodies are the most tender.

Have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Cut them into 5 inch by 1/2 inch strips and bring them out to Atlantic City and well use them to bring home a boat load of Flounder
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • chris123stock
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Cut them into 5 inch by 1/2 inch strips and bring them out to Atlantic City and well use them to bring home a boat load of Flounder
    Ill be there soon. 
    B-)
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options

rtt121 said:
    Ill be there soon. 
    B-)
    Open invite if your actually close.  Boat doesn't go in till April 1 and Flounder are usually open game first week of May.  Striped bass to be had in April.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you want a smokey finish simmer or braise them and then slow smoke

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Options
    Just curious, but what's the brand on the squid box? 
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Just curious, but what's the brand on the squid box? 
    Its Ocean Angel brand, out of Del Mar California,  its got an angel on the box so it must taste heavenly. 
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Cool stuff man, that's from out here in Monterey.   I'm a squid geek.  Like others said, cook it hot and fast.  Preferably no more than 5 minutes total time.  Longer than that and it will get tough and very chewy.  However, if you do happen to cook it longer than that, you'll want to cook it another 25 minutes to get it tender once again.  So either 5 minutes or less, or 30 minutes.   Make sure to eat the roe, tasty stuff! 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I chop the heads up with shrimp cilantroe and lemon maybe add some garlic grill that up in a hot skillet then stuff it inside the bodies seal them with a toothpick. Then fry on cast iron hot and fast.
    Lynnwood WA
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Cool stuff man, that's from out here in Monterey.   I'm a squid geek.  Like others said, cook it hot and fast.  Preferably no more than 5 minutes total time.  Longer than that and it will get tough and very chewy.  However, if you do happen to cook it longer than that, you'll want to cook it another 25 minutes to get it tender once again.  So either 5 minutes or less, or 30 minutes.   Make sure to eat the roe, tasty stuff! 
    Cool they are hard as rocks, so I am waiting for them to thaw.  
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Thanks everyone,  I have enough I can try a couple of ways, see what I like. 
  • chris123stock
    Options
    You know I read that last post, I meant enough squid that I am able to do it a couple of ways.  Sorry if that sounded rude. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    It's all good, you were not rude to anyone. 
    Good luck with the squid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Good stuff dude.  Post some pics when you're done. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Sorry, I'd forget the egg and make fried Calamari but then what do I know
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Options
    Could turn them into snapper...
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    rtt121 said:

rtt121 said:
    Ill be there soon. 
    B-)
    Open invite if your actually close.  Boat doesn't go in till April 1 and Flounder are usually open game first week of May.  Striped bass to be had in April.

We used California Squid for bait while swordfishing back in the late 70's  --  the juice used to stink the boat up for days!!!  Ever since that i can't eat squid.  But we did catch a world record swordfish on one!!  453 pounds on 50 pound line!!

• SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Right on Charlie Tuna.  Squid funk is a phenomenal thing.  Squid funk sticks to your clothes, and you dont even have to be 10 yards near it.  Potent! 
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    Some time ago I had a 5lb one stuffed with its tentacles, after stir frying them along with chives, cherry tomatoes, some bacon and feta cheese. Into the Egg for 5 minutes at 400 F and it was fantastic.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I must admit though, i have had some(not much) squid that tasted like shrimp in certain meals.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to cut into rings and use as part of a seafood paella and also stuff vietnamese style.