Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked firebox?

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Large BGE since Dec of 2009 and have a crack in my firebox ring. 
A- Is this under warranty
B- is it dangerous to continue cooking with it the way it is?

Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Yes it should be under warranty as long as bought from dealer and no it's not dangerous to keep using. I've heard of a lot of people still using theirs and it's cracked. I have one that's cracked and been using it for awhile
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

It won't last long if you continue to take in and out of the Egg, leave it sit inside that Egg and keep cooking.  Warranty issue if you bought it new and have proof of purchase or submitted your warranty with BGE.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    Mine also cracked and was replaced under warranty. But, the new one is a different design and has a vertical cut completely down one side. Presumably this is to allow for expansion, but it makes my old version with the crack look more robust. I put the new one in storage and decided to keep using the cracked one until it actually falls apart, which won't be much longer I'm afraid.

Here is a picture of the new firebox design.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker