Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking almonds - AMS + Natures Way apple wood pellets

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
I received an AMS a few weeks ago and I will use it for the first time today to smoke almonds.  I am planning to let them smoke for ~3 hours.

imageimageimage

Comments

• chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good, I bet they turn out amazing. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Very cool interested to see how they turn out. Just used my AMS again last night for bacon. I heated it up in the oven for 20 min and it went all night without going out. Great little device.
    Lynnwood WA
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I have made them twice following the recipe in Charcutrie.  The first batch I took to work and they were a big hit.  Now my coworkers are offering to buy the almonds so I can keep them supplied.   I smoked them for about two and a half hours, 3 should be great.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    That's a great device for smoking nuts. I like almonds best. pre-salted taste much better than plain.
  • paqman
    edited March 2013
    Options
    double said:

Very cool interested to see how they turn out. Just used my AMS again last night for bacon. I heated it up in the oven for 20 min and it went all night without going out. Great little device.

@double Why did you heat it in the oven?

Options

I have made them twice following the recipe in Charcutrie.  The first batch I took to work and they were a big hit.  Now my coworkers are offering to buy the almonds so I can keep them supplied.   I smoked them for about two and a half hours, 3 should be great.

I'm following the instructions from Charcuterie but I will use a different mix of spices

Options
    @paqman it seems some people had a problem keeping it smoking for a long time in colder temps. AMS said that they had a client report back that heating the unit full of pellets In a 200 degree oven for 20 min helped with lighting. I have done this now on both my bacon batches and never had it go out. Outside temp has been below 50 on both occasions
    Lynnwood WA
  • paqman
    Options
    double said:

@paqman it seems some people had a problem keeping it smoking for a long time in colder temps. AMS said that they had a client report back that heating the unit full of pellets In a 200 degree oven for 20 min helped with lighting. I have done this now on both my bacon batches and never had it go out. Outside temp has been below 50 on both occasions

Good to know. It was my first time using it and the fire did not go out. Outside temp was between 15F-20F. Thanks for the advice, I'll put it in the oven next time just to be sure.

Options
    I will be using the oven method next. Has gone out both time I have used it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @paqman how did these turn out- just got mine today. For those that have done these I assume they aren't the sprouted nuts? What do you use?
    Greensboro, NC
  • paqman
    Options
    @Wolfpack - I used plain whole almonds from Costco. I only cold smoked almonds once. Right after smoking the almonds, they had an "ashtray" taste and I almost threw them in the garbage. Someone suggested to let them mellow for a week or so in a ziploc bag. They ended up being ok but not great. I mostly used them on grilled romaine.

I now hot smoke them @ 350F on the egg with chunks of hickory or maple.

This is the recipe I use. I substitute the sugar/salt mixture with a spice blend or rub. Dizzy pig raging river is always a winner. Swamp Venom is also really good. The recipe calls for 12-15 minutes in the oven, in the egg it is more like 20 minutes.

HONEY ROASTED ALMONDS
    2 c. whole almonds, skins on
    1/4 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. honey
    2 tbsp. water
    2 tsp. almond or vegetable oil
    Spread the almonds in a single layer in a shallow ungreased baking pan and place in a cold oven. Bake at 350 degrees, stirring occasionally, until the internal color of nuts is tan (12 to 15 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
    Thoroughly mix the sugar and salt. Stir together the honey, water and oil in a medium size pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the roasted almonds and continue to cook and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed by the nuts (about 5 minutes). Immediately transfer to a medium bowl and sprinkle sugar mixture over all and toss. Spread on wax paper and cool.