Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chocolate Stout CrèmeBREWlée

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow being St. Patrick's Day I wanted to find a dessert that would be festive. My red velvet crème brûlée was a big hit for Valentines day so I found a chocolate recipe and added some Stout. While Guinness would be the perfect match for St. Patrick's Day I decided to make a small batch yesterday and to see if Young's Double Chocolate Stout would taste better. 

I had four other taste testers as well as myself and it was unanimous that the Guinness tasted better. So this morning I made a full batch and here is the recipe I went with:

Ingridents

4 large egg yolks 
2 oz heavy cream
2 oz half and half
4 oz Guinness
4 oz semi sweet chocolate
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract

Beat eggs and sugar till the ribbon stage

Heat heavy cream, half and half, and Guinness together until it reaches a boil 

Pour the warm mixture over the chocolate and stir together until chocolate has melted. 

Temper the egg mixture with the chocolate until it is all incorporated. 

Then pour the mixture into ramekins 

Preheat BGE (or oven if you want) to 350° and bake in a pan with water half way up the ramekins for 30 minutes. 

Here is the batch from yesterday since they are on the egg baking right now. Guinness on the right and Young's on the left. 

Chill for 2-3 hours, sprinkle sugar over top and caramelize using kitchen torch or broiler until sugar melts and becomes golden brown. Serve immediately or can be refrigerated for later use. 

I was playing around with green sugar and some food coloring as well as trying to keep track of the different kinds for the taste test. 

Happy St. Patricks Day everyone! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It's on my list. Your looks great

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @travisstrick yesterday's batch was awesome so these should be just as good!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Maybe a few too many of these. St. Pattys ain't till Sunday, I better be right, it's also my wife's birthday.

Nice cook!

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Options
    I'll be at the lake so I pre-made them and plan on leaving the phone turned off till Monday @MrCookingNurse have a good weekend!
  • Solson005
    Options
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Great looking CBs - almost a crime to boil off Guinness, but well worth it! Excellent, I have some dark Harp in the fridge, might just try this. Thanks for sharing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks @skiddymarker I sacrificed 4oz for the greater good of a themed dessert!
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I love Guinness, chocolate, and my BGE. This recipe combined all three.

I was trying to come up with something different to cook this weekend. I found it, I'm cooking this recipe.

Thanks for posting!
  • Solson005
    Options
    Sure, that's why I posted it early. I figured atleast one other person might want to try it!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options

Young's Chocolate Stout is very expensive in my neck of the woods, but it's one of my most favorite beers.  It's definitely a special occasion thing.  I think the last time I had one was Valentines Day of 2012....my Sweetie gave me a bottle of it as a gift.  :) 

Nice job on the desserts!  They look delicious.  :)

• Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @Dyal_SC I got a four pack of Guinness and one bottle of youngs And I only made a tester batch so I had to drink the rest. While it tastes great, 4 out of 4 people recommended the one with Guinness...
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options

wow!!! looks good!  i think its a little out of my league!!

%-(
  • nashbama
    Options
    I gave it a shot. The only thing I changed was I doubled the amount because my ramekins are a little larger. I may have added too much sugar on the top at the end. Otherwise, a huge success! Thanks for the recipe! 
  • nashbama
    Options
    The finished product. I used the broiler in the oven because I don't have a torch, yet. Goes well with a Merlot, or another Guinness. I'm making these again for sure.
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Glad you liked them @nashbama they were a big hit at my party too! 

@daffy1909 they aren't too hard and are worth the effort if you ever do decide to make them.