Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid drag is ruining the seal

Just noticed that the lid drags across the bottom seal and has loosened it...I'm afraid I may have to replace it soon (just bought the egg in February). Have to go back to the drawing board and see how to adjust it. Bummed out!

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    There are lots of videos about adjusting your bands. They are usually part of "how to replace your gasket" video. I have adjusted mine a couple of times. I use a piece of dowel and a small hammer to tap the bands up and down a bit. Others on the forum talk about loosening it all up and then putting something heavy on the lid and tightening it down. One even claimed to have used SWMBO as the lid weight. :-O
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Not the end of the world. Search YouTube. Loosen the bolts on the bands and play with it. Might as well get used to it. If you plan to replace your gasket you will likely have to adjust bands and realign dome anyway
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • aimhigh
    aimhigh Posts: 4
    Thanks folks...I'll get on it!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    flemster said:
    There are lots of videos about adjusting your bands. They are usually part of "how to replace your gasket" video. I have adjusted mine a couple of times. I use a piece of dowel and a small hammer to tap the bands up and down a bit. Others on the forum talk about loosening it all up and then putting something heavy on the lid and tightening it down. One even claimed to have used SWMBO as the lid weight. :-O
    Yep, SWMBO knows her job when it comes to dome alignment and gasket removal. Since "enlisting" her help, it has gone perfect every time. SWMBO is a super taster and the smell of wood smoke really bothers her, weighing down the lid is the closest she ever gets to the egg. 

Since teaming up to adjust the bands, we have never had a drag issue. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, putting enough vertical pressure on the lid while re-tightening the bands will automagically force the bands to align correctly?
  • Badong said:
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, putting enough vertical pressure on the lid while re-tightening the bands will automagically force the bands to align correctly?
    I think that is what some are saying. Although I dont see how that is possible. You are only going to get so much give and bend.  I think some may still have to fine tune things with washers as I did. To me my hinge was off some causing my dome to sit too far back. I tried everything to get it correct. I ended up having to use washers as in the online video someone posted on youtube. Seems to have corrected my issue on mine.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Badong said:
    just my opinion, but I think the extra set of hands helps keep the spheres aligned, hence reducing the drag from misaligned spheres. Once the spheres are aligned, I position the locked hinge and band assembly for the best fit. This is not always with the base and dome bands positioned parallel to the felt line. To me, and I might be wrong, it is more important to have equal pressure around the dome base junction, that is a good dollar bill test.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    My small does not line up. I've loosened ad jiggled and can't get anything to do it.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    One video shows adding shims and I'm just not crazy about that idea. I emailed customer service.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A baby seal walks into a club....