Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tortillas for pizza

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Started using tortillas several years ago for the grand kids pizza. Found it made the best (IMO) adult thin crust pizza. Grand kids down and pizzas on. Most shots before done. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nice. I think homemade tortillas would be outstanding with this.
  • Eggcelsior
    Nice. I think homemade tortillas would be outstanding with this.
  • Mickey
    @Eggcelsior. When the younger guys see an old guard like yourself padding their count on the forum what are they to think =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Yea really.

Also, Mickey, you need to go to bed.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Oh @Eggcelsior I think you are correct. Just never made them at home. (And this way it is not obvious i am padding my count.)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Posers that pad their post count can't cook canned soup.  :D
  • Last week when I asked for suggestions for an Egg demo festival I volunteered to cook at, @Mickey suggested the tortilla pizza.  We do them at home and really like them, but I didn't think they had a big enough "Wow Factor".  The object of the event is to pitch Eggs and I wanted to "cook" something to show off the Egg's capabilities.  Based on taste and ease, I'm kinda thinking the nutella and strawberry one would be wow enough.  Thanks Mickey!  Enjoy your EggFest!  I wish I was there to buy you a drink.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Oh dear. This has happened 2 or 3 times to me. When I press "post comment" it gives me an error message. Press again, 2 of the same post.

At least it strokes my ego.... I'm going to go attempt some Campbells Chicken Noodle.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great, I made some 00 flour dough tonight, but will give tortillas a try. That would work great for a last night pizza request. I will give it a try with making my own too just to report back. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Are you still cooking at as high a temp with the tortillas or can you go a little lower?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I've been using flour tortillas for years and one that we like best is flour tortilla with boursin herb and garlic cheese, leftover seafood, sauted red peppers and onions with gruyere cheese. Also use them as a very quick dinner with any leftovers in the fridge and a salad. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Mickey
    @SmokinDAW82 Cooked 550 on top of an adj rig. So good height in the dome.

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited March 2013
    Looks great, Mickey! Love the face on that one...
    I keep saying I'm going to make tostadas on the BGE with La Tortilla Factory Green Chili corn tortillas.  I need to just do it already. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I havent done pizza on my egg as of yet.

I have done tortilla pizzas, but i have used 2 for the crust and have put cream cheese, or just cheese between them .

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    hondabbq said:

I havent done pizza on my egg as of yet.

I have done tortilla pizzas, but i have used 2 for the crust and have put cream cheese, or just cheese between them .

Technically that would be a quesadilla isn't it? Must try this, as always learned something again!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Skiddymarker   Maybe so but pizza is so much easier to spell and not sure the kids would eat quesadillas.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    These look good and the ingredients one can use is wide open. Will try for the kiddos.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I think he was talking about a quesadilla with a pizza on top, like a stuffed crust pizza. Now that might be good if the upper tortilla cooked enough.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Skinny started off for kids and now it is the only I eat pizza. Someone suggested phillo (? Spell) and said real good.

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Mickey what a great smiley face.  I need to do that this week - less mess to clean up if you don't make pizza dough!  
    Good luck this weekend!  
  • Mickey
    Miles I will raise one for you my friend (maybe next year). Need you kilt and pipes....

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Mickey, this looks like a great (delicious) idea.

Gotta try it right away!

Thanks

:P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon