Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recomend me a Mapp torch or other way to light the EGG

Comments

• Chubbs said:
    Drizzle oil on a paper towel and light. Make teepee with lump around flame. Can't get any cheaper and comes to temp quickly

+1  cheap and easy.  I cook around 5 days /wk and i'm on my same bottle of  oil since the summer. 

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    This works great...get it a Wally's

500 Posts: 3,177
    +1 for Mickey's weed burner. I don't use it in turbo mode though. After a minute with that and a shot from the Air Grill, it's going up to temp quick. For low and slow, I just use with a small flame dialed down.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    +1 for 91% rubbing alcohol. Super cheap.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ive had two mapp torch heads catch fire, im done throwing mapp bombs into the lake
    :)) harbor freight weedburners are cheap and last along time, mines probably closing in on ten years. at camp i use the napkin trick, heres a link that makes it easy

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy#latest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I use the rutland fire starter squares.  The look and 'act' exactly like the BGE squares but much less cost.  I bought a pack of ~144 squares for around $10 at ace.

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Safe-Starter-Squares-144-Square/dp/B00138MO16

I have carefully tested many different methods..  IE used 3lbs of charcoal each time and tested lighting with a chimney, oil soaked paper towels, fire cubes, along with a mapp torch.

The fire cubes are the best way by far.  The mapp torch is almost as fast, but it doesn't seem consistent for me.  Sometimes it will ignite a piece of lump in 10 seconds, sometimes it takes me a good couple minutes before I'm comfortable that the fire is going. 

The trick with the fire cubes is where you place them in the pile of lump.  If it's at the bottom you will get a roaring hot fire, great for t-rex steak or pizza.  If you place the cubes at the top of the pile it will 'burn down' which is better for low and slow or the 350f couple hour cooks.

I can't imagine how these 144 packs of starters are more expensive than mapp gas, and it's far less headache.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Aviator no doubt this will work as the egg is fundamentally a big starter chimney. Many of us like to light the lump from the top and let the fire follow the upcoming airflow down. Using an electric or MAPP you are starting the top of the pile. I've never used the oil soaked paper towel in my egg so I don't know if it will work from the top. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Those 144 count bag of starters for that price could very well be the end choice. I am going to try the 91% alcohol as well. Thank you all for your opinions!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The MAP gas will last a long time.  This is somewhat of a WAG, but I would say you will get at least 100 lights out of a single tank.  A new tank is a little over $9 so the ongoing cost is reasonable.  

That being said, the oil and paper towel trick also works great.  I ran out of MAP and I keep forgetting to pick up a tank so I have lit up the past 10 cooks with oily napkins. It's a great backup method. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    They all work.  After trying all of them, I now use the paper towel 100% of the time.  Easy, cheap and quick to temp. A no brainer for me.
  • burr_baby33
    Paper towel with oil.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

I used to use propane but for the last 5 years or so I've used Mapp which burns hotter. You can also sweat copper with it if you have any plumbing issues!

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS4000-Trigger-Start-Torch/dp/B00008ZA09/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362440776&sr=8-1&keywords=bernzomatic+ts4000

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Super cheap way!! Smear a cotton ball with just a dab of vaseline. Stick 2 of them together that way and light with lighter/match whatever. Stack a few coals on top and WHAMO, instant firestarter. Works great!  I got rid of my propane torch. Have not had a need plus did I mention CHEAP!!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • I have been using an electric lighter it was like 12 dollars at homedepot. I bent it so that it sits in the bowl better. Gets mine going in like 5 mins.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

Super cheap way!! Smear a cotton ball with just a dab of vaseline. Stick 2 of them together that way and light with lighter/match whatever. Stack a few coals on top and WHAMO, instant firestarter. Works great!  I got rid of my propane torch. Have not had a need plus did I mention CHEAP!!!

While I don't use that in my egg I do camp and spend a lot of time in woods. One thing I always carry, probably have 6/8 in garage now, is a zip lock bag with dryer lint and Vaseline. Almost zero cost and great for starting camp fires. I often deal with damp wood and rarely get dried dead wood. That and some twigs and pine straw and I can get a fire roaring. One of best tips I got from F&S
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Napalm.. Gasoline and Vaseline. Actually i use a Wagner heat gun. Great for placing in the bottom vent to expedite getting to temp.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • burr_baby33
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Paper towel with oil.
    +1.  This is the cheapest way to go.  There was also a post awhile back about a clever way to pre-soak the towels in a coffee can. 
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    I just use oil on napkins then blow air into the egg with my air compressor until it's burning the way I want it to.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Parallel said:

I just use oil on napkins then blow air into the egg with my air compressor until it's burning the way I want it to.

Before I got the electric I used a hairdryer to help stoke the fire.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I have to say I like the larger size MAPP the best with the oil-soaked paper towels second. With the MAPP, I can get a raging fire in five minutes. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Those of you that have a MAPP torch.  How do you EXACTLY light the Egg. 

What I have been doing that apparently is not working right is lighting the Mapp torch and sticking into the coals in one spot for 10-15 seconds.   I do 3 spots for cooks over 300.  It takes a long time for the egg to come up to temp.  I do not get fire when lighting but the lump is smoking and red.

Should I move the torch around and light more coal?  Should I leave it longer on the spots I am lighting? 

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

robnybbq I only use my Mapp to light my Mini (will never use a weedburner again). I use a weedburner for the Larges  but the Mapp would work just fine.

But I do not stick it in the coals, Hold it about a inch or so over the coals for about 15 seconds in each place (like you, doing 3).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    robnybbq said:

Those of you that have a MAPP torch.  How do you EXACTLY light the Egg. 

What I have been doing that apparently is not working right is lighting the Mapp torch and sticking into the coals in one spot for 10-15 seconds.   I do 3 spots for cooks over 300.  It takes a long time for the egg to come up to temp.  I do not get fire when lighting but the lump is smoking and red.

Should I move the torch around and light more coal?  Should I leave it longer on the spots I am lighting? 

Depending on temp goal I usually hit 2-6 spots for about 30 seconds each. I do them spaced apart but so they eventually reach each other. During this process lid is open and bottom vent completely open. After 2-5 minutes I usually close lid but leave bottom open another couple mins. That's for 350 or higher. If doing 300 or lower I'm more conservative.
    Boom
  • robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    Mickey said:

robnybbq I only use my Mapp to light my Mini (will never use a weedburner again). I use a weedburner for the Larges  but the Mapp would work just fine.

But I do not stick it in the coals, Hold it about a inch or so over the coals for about 15 seconds in each place (like you, doing 3).

Mickey - Using this method on your large using a Mapp with new lump lighting 3 spots - How long until the Egg is up to 350?

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey

robnybbq not over 10 mins at most. I do have a High Que on all. I light, put the dome down that second with the top cap off and botton wide open (same with screen).....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    I dont get it then.  I even leave the top open for 10 minutes and it still takes a long long time to come up to temp.  I have the HighQue as well.  Bottom vent wide open/screen closed.  When I close the lid I still have the top cap off until I am close to my target temp then I close the bottom grate to the opening that I need and add the Daisy wheel with just the petals open. 

Garnerville, NY
  • FanOfFanboys
    I also sit about a inch above. When is last time you cleaned inside out? Remove all pieces from egg, the ceramic, and vacuum out. Depending how clogged you are can make a difference. I will egg tomorrow night. If want I can record what I do and post on YouTube and send you a link.
    Boom
  • robnybbq
    I have cleaned it recently.  I clean all the ash every time and every 10-15 cooks I take everything out to clean behind the firebox.  It has always been this way.  I have tried lighting above the coals and just below the surface of the coals.

I am going to see if I can find a way to record my lighting of the Egg. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey

FanOfFanboys makes a real good point. The only time I had trouble getting to temp was several years ago after cleaning out the Egg. I had loaded it back half closing off the bottom vent with the ceramic on the bottom (makes a lot of differance).

Also by closing the top half (asap to lighting) will bring the air thru better (IMO).