Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virginal flight of the mini

Options
U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Got a sweet deal on a mini last week, been super busy but have used it a few times. Ordered up a high q and the stones from amazon but my wife cut me off on spending so the woo ring will have to wait. For the first cook I had some small salmon fillets in the fridge and my sister in law coming over whom lives in Florida. Grilled direct at 350 with a chunk of peach. Pretty quick cook but great for the mini. 2 fillets were seasoned with John Henry's Mojave garlic and 2 with mickeys coffee rub. Warmed up some corn tortillas and topped with fresh cilantro from the garden (it won't die I've tried), a Dallop of sour cream and some cheese. Don't forget salsa of choice. Great easy fish tacos that everyone loves. I liked the coffee rub it had a nice earthy taste in the taco.

Virginal lighting

Salmon on the egg at 350

The mini chugging away

Plated up in all their glory

One of our favorite quick cooks and my wife recently went glutton and dairy free so I get to work around that challenge now too.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Those tacos look incredible!  Great maiden voyage sir!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! I love that new egg look!

Salmon was my first cook in my large egg. I will have to try it in tacos sometime.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    Looks great! I love that new egg look! Salmon was my first cook in my large egg. I will have to try it in tacos sometime.

I'm not a huge Salmon fan but I can dig it in tacos or in lox bagels. The wife likes it so this is our compromise.
  • Solson005
    Options
    I make mine with one of Bobby Flays first recipes on the food network, many, many years ago, my dad has made this and now it is my goto recipe. I have tried salmon in Alaska and Seattle from the best restaurants to get salmon at and prefer to make this over any place i've ordered it from. It is a Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze that has soy and fresh ginger and is really good. I made it while camping for my uncle and cousin who both grew up in Alaska and they both said it was the best salmon they have ever had. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Speaking of salmon, Kroger had some on sale today, package read "wild caught" "product of Vietnam"
    Something's a little fishy if you ask me

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Oh my, did not mean to do a cheesy pun

Nice eggin man! Love all these inaugural cooks we've been having lately

XLBGE 
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Speaking of salmon, Kroger had some on sale today, package read "wild caught" "product of Vietnam" Something's a little fishy if you ask me

Oh my, did not mean to do a cheesy pun Nice eggin man! Love all these inaugural cooks we've been having lately
    the pun got me laughing.  there is nothing like lighting a new egg.  i think i was more excited about it than the 1st one.  and you get all the fun of getting new accessories.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Congrats on the Mini! Looks like a great first cook.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Does anyone else here act III of "Ride of the Valkyries" when they read this tread title?
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Welcome to the mini club! 

Thanks for the link, @Solson005. I'm not much of a salmon fan, but my husband loves it, so I suffer through cooking it. This might do the trick for me.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Congrats on the new Mini. You are gonna love it. Great job on the salmon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats on a great break in cook!  I love the idea of some simple fish tacos with Salmon.  A little fresh cilantro makes everything better.  I want to do an herb garden for fresh cilantro and basil...but I have a black thumb.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Options
    @jlsm I think you will like the glaze, at least everyone I make it for does. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Aren't they cute at that age.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    edited March 2013
    Options

Good looking tacos. Love the Mini it's great for quick cooks for two or three people, but miss my large for longer/higher volume cooks.  

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Nice cook, gotta try that coffee rub when I get my egg.The salmon looked delicious too!!
    Just curious... I noticed that your fire ring has the five small grooves not the 3 notches that the plate setter legs sit in and i was under the impression the newer eggs had the 3 notches now. Do you have the  newer egg with a new gasket ? Only reason I ask is cause I need to order the correct spider for my new egg in about a month or so.

Thanks.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    What is wrapped around the chimney of the mini in the third picture?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice cook, gotta try that coffee rub when I get my egg.The salmon looked delicious too!!
    Just curious... I noticed that your fire ring has the five small grooves not the 3 notches that the plate setter legs sit in and i was under the impression the newer eggs had the 3 notches now. Do you have the  newer egg with a new gasket ? Only reason I ask is cause I need to order the correct spider for my new egg in about a month or so.

Thanks.
    The newer ones are 3 but you could get older stock and be 5..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• U_tarded
    Options

Thanks.

this is new old old stock. Like first generation mini. It's gasket around the chimney, the dealer did that he did it on my large too but the glue failed