Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grate

Options
does any one know where i can get a good cast iron grate for my lbge??? my local dealer wants over 100$! thanks!!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Amazon sells them.   You can also get mangrates ;)

Personally, I'm completely happy with the factory grill grate.  Be very careful with cast iron grates - they're fragile. If you drop it on concrete, it can break.
    Options
    I just checked the same thing today.  Amazon had it for 65 I believe.
    Large BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Craycort CI grid is around 70 bucks, I believe. It has removable sections too.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    daffy if you have an Academy Sports near check then out, yesterday the store in Hickory, N.C. had round ones that would fit xl or l on clearance at 29.95
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    Options
    Craycort CI grids are awesome - perfect grill marks and great customer service. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Watch the one on amazon I think it's sold by music city metals I picked mine up a few months back for like 45 on sale. Add it to your wishlist and you will get emails of price drops. I love mine I know it doesn't taste better but I love some pretty sear marks on my meat!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    The CI grill grate was one of my must have Eggcessories. I love the great grill marks I get. I am a little confused though, around here the dealers have the BGE version for $49.95. Unless you have something to securely pick it up, you might want to consider the BGE CI grid lifter for $20 bucks.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    Options
    I found a 18" CI today @ "the Parts Biz" for $39. It's $14 to ship but it weights just over 12lbs...
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Must have, here. But paid $70 at Fred's, who is on the high side. Also for the mini, can't remember but I think with shipping $49.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have to say the bge brand grate was spend but the build quality seems legit. OK with the $50 I paid for the mini one
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I use the carbon steel Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works which is very similar to cast iron and allows me to have a second tier with easy access to the bottom level. I can get great sear marks with it as well. 

I like the craycort ones because you can get a griddle piece for it as well, but I have never used one. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.