Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to starve out coals?

How long do you have to shut the egg off until the coals are entinguished?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    You can do it in about 5 mins with a hose. Without water about 20 mins if you take out the coals. If you just shut it down about an hour. But for total coals out bet 10 or more hours. That is why we stop cooking about 3:00 to 3:30 at most Fests.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2013
    Depends on how air tight your egg is. If your gasket has missing spots or bottom vent has gaps it will tale awhile. My large will cool down from go from 400 - 0 in about 2 hrs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My egg usually is close to half the operating temperature about an hour after i shut the vents.  I have never checked it past that.  I have an idea by the amount of lump left inside before my next cook...
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    As a related question,  how long before it's cool enough to put the egg/table cover back on? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I usually won't put the cover back on til the next day. It might be paranoid but I just don't want take a chance of the fire coming back to life and end up having a green melted goo on the outside of my egg

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Wow...thats a long time, but I hear you.