Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cook a baked potato question?

Need setup / recommendations on the best way you have cooked a baked potato on a LBGE to eat with a steak.
Thanks,
Casey

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I cut mine in half, butter, season, close back up and foil, usually on for 45 min, depending what else im cooking, we do spuds almost every cook. i am sure there are better ways, this is just what we are used to.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Baking them takes too long.  I loosely follow these directions and cook them while the finished steaks rest.

http://www.wikihow.com/Bake-a-Potato-in-the-Microwave
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited March 2013
    My new favourite way is to poke holes all over, evoo, s&p and place unwrapped on a folded piece of foil as far away from direct heat as I can. Throw some hickory in and let it smoke around 350°. I usually flip at about the 20-30 minute mark depending on size. Now that I've had smoked baked potatoes, I can't imagine going back.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited March 2013
    I partially cook in the microwave, brush with olive oil, apply thick coat of kosher salt and crisp up on the egg. Good eats. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I normally put some evoo and coat with kosher salt. Indirect till the IT is 200. Way better than in the oven. Maybe 400 dome.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • muskyjohn
    muskyjohn Posts: 17
    Wash, foil, throw on egg 400 give or take, bout 45min.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    I found the yummiest to be the way Browninggold described. They turn out great, especially if you are the type of person who likes to to eat the skin.
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    I stick em in the oven at 400.....for an hour or an hour and a half a 7800 ft above sea level.......
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Micro for 5 mins, spray with EVOO, Sea Salt and foil then on egg for 25-35 mins

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I EVOO, kosher salt, poke with a fork a couple of times, put on a half moon pizza stone at 400 until they reach 215 degrees, pull off and foil, raise temp to 500, cook steaks on the side opposite half moon pizza stone.  Perfect skin and insides every time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited March 2013
    I use the Whiz approach. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bakedpotato.htm
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I had used EVOO in the past. For a change up I rub them with some bacon grease. Use my homemade seasoning or BGE . About an hour at 350-400*. Like a browned skin.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I've always found unless you cook a tater naked (sans foil) doing it in the Egg is just a waste of lump. May as well use an oven if you're not looking for the smokiness of the charcoal.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I cook my steaks with an indirect lump setup in my XL.  I can sear the steaks directly over the lump, then pull them aside and let them finish cooking.
    I do my baked potatoes off to the side. Not directly over the lump, and put them on about 45 minutes to an hour before I start the steaks.  Works for me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Greeno55 said:
    I've always found unless you cook a tater naked (sans foil) doing it in the Egg is just a waste of lump. May as well use an oven if you're not looking for the smokiness of the charcoal.
    Agree unless cooking something else. I usually do a version of what @YEMTrey said
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    500 Posts: 3,177
    No one mentioned this way, Potato Bombs;
    or this way, Hasselback Potatoes.
    Both look good, but have tried neither, yet.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Scrub the potatoes and poke it full of holes with a fork.  Apply a heavy coating of olive oil, coat heavily with kosher salt and wrap in foil.  I cook it with my other egg products for 45 minutes to an hour.  Much better than oven baked for some reason??  I do turn them a few times. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    GrannyX4 said:
    I partially cook in the microwave, brush with olive oil, apply thick coat of kosher salt and crisp up on the egg. Good eats. ;;)
    This is the way for those football sized russets. Nuke'em for a few minutes to get the molecules bouncing then toss with some oil and salt, I prefer coarse sea salt to Kosher, but that's just me. The roast finish on the egg gives the skin a nice colour and texture. 

Another option was mentioned by @AlbertaEgger - split the raw spud, score it and then butter and spices, salt, pepper, garlic etc... Then foil and cook to finish, serve with or without sour cream. Haven't seen this as much in the US, but it is popular in Canada. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    we microwave them then cut in half, hollow them out and mash it and mix it with green onion and whatever else you want. then put back in skin and put some cheese on top. foil it and place in bbq for around an hour at 350.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I rub them with olive oil and kosher salt and put them on the egg indirect (no foil) at about 350 for about an hour.  The time will depend on the size.  I just go by feel- when they are the right amount of squishy they are ready. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I like to test them with a fork. the fork should go in pretty easy and just pull right out without sticking at all
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    oil salt bake naked in egg,or wrapped in foil in my fire place. stick them with a fork or if your a computer nerd or is it geek nowadays, thermapen and 210 is done
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Slice in half, poke raw flesh with fork, salt and pepper to flesh, slather both sides with butter, place a slice of onion between halves and wrap in foil. Cook 375-400 until done.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    Wow did ours in foil at around 450 with EVOO, salt, and pepper cooked until IT was around 200 and they were really good.  Thanks for all the advice!
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Has anyone ever brined their baked potatoes? 

I recall reading somewhere that if you are already brining something and are going to make baked potatoes, to save some brine (fresh, not re-used of course) for the potatoes because it makes everything extra good. 

Just wondering if anyone here has actual experience with that.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I'm on a Hasselbeck kick, I name mine Hasselhof taters when I vary from the Hasselbeck recipe. It is fun and tasty, google Hasselbeck potato, for original.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2015
    I don't get it. Whenever I do potatoes on the egg they take 1.5 to 2hrs. How are you guys getting done in 45 minutes? Are you doing smaller potatoes? I like large potatoes. I usually do 300-350 indirect.

Oh and my favorite way is sliced into 1/2" slices then put 1/4" slices of onions between, spread EVOO, S&P, crushed garlic and maybe lowry's. Reassemble, wrap in foil and bake in egg.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sweet100s said:
    Has anyone ever brined their baked potatoes? 

I recall reading somewhere that if you are already brining something and are going to make baked potatoes, to save some brine (fresh, not re-used of course) for the potatoes because it makes everything extra good. 

Just wondering if anyone here has actual experience with that.
    I have tried brining in a simple salt/sugar brine for a few hours.  They were could, but honestly don't know if I could tell the difference in a head-to-head taste test. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

I do 400 raised grid direct and they take about an hour. Coated with EVOO and which ever rub I feel like using that day. Poking holes comes from the microwave generation. No need to do it in a normal oven or the egg.

200 internal is a good target temp.