Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT---Boiled Peanuts---OT

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Planning to make some for a guys trip this weekend. Anyone have any pointers? I usually do mine in my outdoor propane cooker, and the peanut doesnt come loose from shell too well. I would imagine this means undercooked, but I always cook them way longer than any recipes call for because shell still seems too hard. Am I overcooking them? Any help would be appreciated.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    I wish I knew. I love boiled peanuts but have never made them.

Tim
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Why? My Mother from SC and Father from GA. Just never got boiled peanuts????????????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    how long are you cooking them? 

when i do them, this is too simple, I just put them in a crock pot on high with water covering them all and leave them going for around 24 hours adding salt along the way. always spot on.  put them on the day before and start testing them next afternoon. 

XLBGE 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    The hardest part would be getting green peanuts this time of year. From what I understand green and raw peanuts are not the same thing. It sounds like you might be boiling raw peanuts, they take forever to boil and are still tough. I think green or just fresher but I could be wrong.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Chubbs
    Options

Mickey said:
    Why? My Mother from SC and Father from GA. Just never got boiled peanuts????????????

Never boiled peanuts???? Really?? Man you are missing out.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    The hardest part would be getting green peanuts this time of year. From what I understand green and raw peanuts are not the same thing. It sounds like you might be boiling raw peanuts, they take forever to boil and are still tough. I think green or just fresher but I could be wrong.
    I can get the peanuts in SC, that is not a problem. I should have been more clear. The texure of the peanut is fine and the taste is great, they just do not release from the shell as well as I want them too.
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Chubbs, can you boil them after you honey-roast them?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @Chubbs, can you boil them after you honey-roast them?
    @Mickey, I believe roasted are already shelled. For boiled, you leave them in the shell and boil them with some salt. Or cajun seasoning if you want cajun ones. Boiled peanuts are a staple around these parts. I just cant get mine exactly how I want them.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I use a propane turkey pot for mine too. Sounds like you need to boil them for longer. Some people don't like them too soft, so that's probably why the recipe says a shorter time. The longer you boil though, the saltier they will be. If you overshoot the saltiness, throw in a few taters...it will soak up some of the salt. Hope this helps, @Chubbs! :)
    PS, there is a dude that sits at the gas station across from the dam that sells excellent boiled peanuts. I always pick up a bag before launching my boat. :)
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I use a propane turkey pot for mine too. Sounds like you need to boil them for longer. Some people don't like them too soft, so that's probably why the recipe says a shorter time. The longer you boil though, the saltier they will be. If you overshoot the saltiness, throw in a few taters...it will soak up some of the salt. Hope this helps, @Chubbs! :) PS, there is a dude that sits at the gas station across from the dam that sells excellent boiled peanuts. I always pick up a bag before launching my boat. :)
    Hard to beat good ole Southern boiled peanuts and a beer (or ten!). The Piggly Wiggly on Forest already has them out. I am going to do a huge batch in my cooker for a bachelor party this weekend.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here are some ideas.  I buy mine already boiled from a wholesaler.  The name is Hawks.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/BoiledPeanutsHistory.htm

Nuts, Peanuts, Boiled, Satkinson

I like mine a little spicy so I mix salt and cajun seasoning. I add water to the peanuts to cover a couple of inches, measuring how much water I use. I then add a half cup of salt and a half cup of store-bought cajun seasoning per gallon of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook medium, adding water if needed, for about four hours. I start checking them for doneness after four hours. I've gone as long as six hours. If you don't like the spice, stick to salt. One cup per gallon of water.

INGREDIENTS:  

Procedure:

Recipe Type
    Snack

Recipe Source

Source: BGE Forum, Satkinson, 2009/07/25

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    @chubbs I go to Mr Ringo on Garners Ferry; right past Bunkys. About the best around these parts and he has most year round. Makes them right in back of store. My family and him are close so I hang out up there in back eating them and drinking beer. My kind of happy hour.
    Boom
  • Chubbs
    Options

Good to know, @Fan. I want to cook my own, but if in a pinch good to know of this place.

@Mickey, here is a video for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vhi2wrZFns

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Why not just boil a bunch of peas and dump in a carton of Morton Salt and call it a day? those things are awful!
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Jscott said:

Why not just boil a bunch of peas and dump in a carton of Morton Salt and call it a day? those things are awful!

You. Leave the forum! Boiled peanuts are amazing!!!
    Boom
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    You. Leave the forum! Boiled peanuts are amazing!!!
    Ditto !! That "boy" ain't had no learnin" !!

Opelika, Alabama
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i usually do mine in a crock pot that i sit out in the garage. i put it in the garage because they do not offer up a nice smell for the house. i usually put them on high fir a couple hours the reduce them to low adding water as needed. they usually taker around 12 hours or so i just keep "sampling until they are soft enough. then i turn them off and let them sit in the water for another 12 hours or so just to get more flavoring in tem. i usually add some kind of rub with alot of salt

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mickey
    Options

@Chubbs. That was me trying to be funny. Like my wife keeps telling me: I am not......

But for real not a fan of boiled peanuts.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    @chubbs I want some freakin' boiled peanuts now thanks to you!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I'm with MrCookingNurse. I've always just put them in a crockpot on low for a day. Never really put a time limit on it. I usually do cajun style though. Who am I kidding....by "I" I mean "my wife" on this one.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chubbs
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Jscott said:
    Wouldn't clicking on a thread titled something you know you dont like be kind of the same as smelling someone's finger when they ask you to?
    :-?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Jscott said:
    Wouldn't clicking on a thread titled something you know you dont like be kind of the same as smelling someone's finger when they ask you to?
    :-?
    That's a little worse than smelling after they tell you to pull it.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Funny stuff guys! My wife loves them, I've never acquired the taste.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Slimey beans! Wife and kids eat them but I just don't like em!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    If God had meant for Peanuts to be boiled he would have made them like an Idaho potato.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I first bought boiled peanuts when we were on our way to Road Atlanta for a motorcycle race and loved em! I tried making them once on my stovetop and it was a resounding failure...I gave up on the idea of ever getting fresh boiled peanuts here in Austin.

Now this crockpot method sounds like something I can handle! Thanks for the thread.
    Gittin' there...
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    FearlessTheEggNoob just make sure to buy Green peanuts. i have seen some people try to make boiled peanuts with roasted peanuts and that will be a failure everytime.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Thanks! I'll make sure I don't do that!
    Gittin' there...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    boiled peanuts must be illegal up here, there must be a border down south were theyre not allowed to cross
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

boiled peanuts must be illegal up here, there must be a border down south were theyre not allowed to cross

Kinda like grits ha
    Boom