Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Armoire

Soon after getting my new egg, with the only accessory being the plate setter, I realized I would need storage for the various pizza stones, grids, tools and of course charcoal that I would acquire in the future.  I looked with envy at the tables built by other Eggheads, but I couldn't afford that route.  I started planning an outdoors storage box, with maybe a table top, out of cypress and the cost was still beyond what I was able to justify.  Although the wife was not complaining about the clutter in den that leads to the back porch grill, I could see the need to resolve the issue soon! 

Then I remembered an old cedar armoire that a friend gave me so I could salvage the wood.  It was perfect, plus it was cluttering up my workshop (garage) since I hadn't dismantled it yet.  So I added a waterproof top and stuck some shelves inside, and I now have a clear spot in the den where there was a bunch of Egg accessories and bins of charcoal.

It is by no means finished, but it is functional.  I have to caulk some wide openings to thwart the wasps.  I have to level the box and set a pitch for rain water run off.  But I can keep grillin!
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have a similar setup. The previous owner of my house left an armoire in our covered porch. We kept some pool stuff in there initially, but since they egg, I'v been trying to slowly push out everything else. Very handy. Yours looks a lot prettier than mine though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice score. No shame in saving some cash. I would love something like that.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Very nice.  That looks like a perfect use for it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    great idea!!! im in the process of saving to build a table too,so far just using the nest, a couple of garbage cans for the lump and wood chunks, and storage under my stainless gas grill(that i only use for warming now!) =))
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's the best piece of egg/patio furniture I think I have ever seen.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I actually thought of building something like this on my deck, SWMBO wants the tops of her washer and dryer back
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Where's the keg-er-ator? Nice setup.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Hey, what ever works is great -- once your wife realizes the importance the egg will make in your relationship -- she'll approve anything !!!  Great set up!
  • Thanks everyone for the kind comments!  The next cook is going to be cedar planked salmon in honor of the cedar armoire and to feed the friends who donated the armoire intending for me to salvage the wood.  I salvaged the structure!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • henapple
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363

Good idea, I like it.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Great idea!
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • henapple said:
    Thanks, but no keg.
    I enjoy Bushmills Irish Whiskey rather than beer these days.  Counting carbs and all that.  But I had some seriously good homemade 'wee heavy' beer the other day, probably the best beer I ever had!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Today in Brentwood Tn we had hours of rain to be followed by snow tonight.  The rain was strong and heavy, with powerful winds as well.  In the protected area against the wall, this egg case was not subject to blowing rain, just vertical stuff.  This afternoon after hours of rain I checking inside and it was bone dry.  Good news!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    bitchin'!
    We have a huge used furniture salvage store in Ogden, I think I know what I'll be doing this Saturday!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• henapple
    @Dave_Matthews are you located in Brentwood?
  • henapple said:
    Yep, here in Brentwood Tennessee!  I bought my large BGE from the Embers store in Cool Springs.  The True Value hardware store in Franklin stocks a huge inventory of Eggs and accessories, including the egg table weights!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome, I built a cedar cart to hold my egg stuff and just freshened it up yesterday. Still looks great outside after almost 2 years! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005 said:
    Looks awesome, I built a cedar cart to hold my egg stuff and just freshened it up yesterday. Still looks great outside after almost 2 years! 
    How did you freshen it up?  I cleaned the armoire as best I could, took an scrub brush and soap to the outside, let it dry, and then applied some Murphy's soap lemon oil to it.  Any advice for preserving this cedar is welcome!
    Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    I cleaned it really good and used Olympic Maximum Waterproofing Sealant in Clear. It says 3 years but I plan on doing it yearly to make sure it lasts. I put it on with a 4" roller and got the most textured roller pad they had. I do one heavy coat and wait a few days to check for dry spots and touch it up. I put the same on my pergola and it is looking just as good after a couple years in the weather and the Oklahoma Sun. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • That  looks great, fine craft!  Thanks for the information and link, I will get some!
    Dave

Solson005 said:
    I cleaned it really good and used Olympic Maximum Waterproofing Sealant in Clear. It says 3 years but I plan on doing it yearly to make sure it lasts. I put it on with a 4" roller and got the most textured roller pad they had. I do one heavy coat and wait a few days to check for dry spots and touch it up. I put the same on my pergola and it is looking just as good after a couple years in the weather and the Oklahoma Sun. 

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • henapple

henapple said:

Thanks, but no keg.
    I enjoy Bushmills Irish Whiskey rather than beer these days.  Counting carbs and all that.  But I had some seriously good homemade 'wee heavy' beer the other day, probably the best beer I ever had!

henapple said:

Yep, here in Brentwood Tennessee!  I bought my large BGE from the Embers store in Cool Springs.  The True Value hardware store in Franklin stocks a huge inventory of Eggs and accessories, including the egg table weights!

I'm in Murfreesboro. Got mine at Nashville Hearth & Grill.
  • I added a side table, outlet box, and lamp to the armoire. 
    Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Badass
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    so nice, I like
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the kind words!  The table is a 3/4" thick teak board made of two 2' sections.  They are joined and spaced apart 1/4"  by two red oak braces underneath.  I need to find out how to prep and preserve the teak, is has picked up some stains and I want to sand it and seal it.  Any tips?

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • nolaegghead
    Teak doesn't hold a finish very well.   Cetol oil is a popular choice for marine applications.
    Teak is a very hard wood.  It stains easily and the stains are hard to correct.  Thats why it used to be oiled, to reduce the stain from entering the grain.  It can be oli stained and sealed like mahogony, but it is a maintenance problem. 
  • Solson005
    I just use steel wool and teak oil for my chair, wait about a week and see if any spots need to be worked on and repeat as necessary. Depending on your stain you may need to go deeper. Your new additions are great to add some function to your eggs area!