Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round steak

Options
I just went to the grocery store to buy ribeyes for tonight's coat. The wife and I are having a steak date. I found some eye of round steaks and they were very cheap so I decided to buy them to cook tomorrow night farm bill for one day. Does anyone have any recipes are pictures of cook of Eisenbrown steaks? I did a quick Google and did not find anything encouraging but I am hopeful. Well at least it's cheap beef.

I hope this is halfway legible land intelligently spoken. I'm using Siri to talk and type while driving home from work.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Uhhh..... I'm glad I got a Droid.

;)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Oh my that was worse than expected!!

Plans are to wrap in bacon, have them marinating for 24 hours, and slice after cooking to around 130. Quick sear and then indirect.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I'd go a little lower on temp. 120 so it will finish in the medium rare stage. They start getting tough past that. Do you have a jaccard?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I'd go a little lower on temp. 120 so it will finish in the medium rare stage. They start getting tough past that. Do you have a jaccard?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Sorry for the double post. Maybe I should have gone with the iPhone :))
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Lol. Good stuff. No I do not have a jacard. Read about beating it. Even read about beating it flat and stuffing it with something making like a roll.

I'll pull at 120, it's a man meal so no worries if its rare.

Should I beat it?

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I could stick it with a fork a few times imitating the jaccard

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    That will also help the marinade penetrate
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I'll fork it in the morning and then lit it back in the nade

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I could stick it with a fork a few times imitating the jaccard
    Forking is not the same as Jaccarding (Some how that just does not sound right)...
    A fork will spread the muscle, it will not cut the muscle. The analogy I like is using a fork is like driving a knitting needle through a big rope, it just spreads the fibers. A Jaccard actually cuts the fibers making the meat tender. Eye of round needs the 45 knife, then it eats like NY strip. 
    Great kitchen tool. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @skiddymarker
    Thanks, I just just trying to improvise. Order that thig online? What are other uses?

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I've had 45 knife version for a couple of years, just picked up the 15 knife version within the last 6 months. I use the 15 for chicken breast, pork loin chops, NY strips and sirloin. Helps with marinade and tenderizes the texture of the meat. The 45 is used for just what you have, round steaks, flanks for London broil. The real advantage was eye of round roasts, hit with the Jaccard as much as you can and the meat is very tender. 
    Schnitzel and all cutlets do not need as much pounding before breading. As a caution - use only over a wooden cutting board. They come apart for easy clean-up. 
    Noticed that Jaccard will ship free for orders over $50. The ones I have are the stainless pillar versions and would cost $55 for both of them. 
    http://www.jaccard.com/ if you are interested. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!