Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome open or closed................

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
.......when you begin your fire ? I always start my fire and close the dome for the first 8 to 10 minutes, but don't know if this is the right way or not. Please give me your advice about this. I guess I close it because I worry that leaving it open to the flames might damage the felt insulation. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Zack95,[p]Your precedure is right on the money. With the dome closed and the lower intake wide open, the "chimney" effect will get your coals going faster and more safely than with the dome open.[p]Actually and with few exceptions, the only time you would want to open the dome on a hot Egg is to add or remove your cook.[p]HTH[p]K~G

• guavawood
    guavawood Posts: 213
    KennyG,[p]how's it going friend?[p]Do you take off the daisy wheel in that process or leve it on with vents cracked?[p]thanks and aloha![p]Greg

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Greg,[p]I'm doing fine - thanx and it's good to see you back on the forum as well. I never meant to be a stranger here, I just needed to take a sabbatical based on a lousy hand of cards I was dealt a while back. This is now the light at the end of the tunnel.[p]Based on the temp I'm looking for, I will not use the daisy of slide metal if looking for high temps for baking or grilling. For smoking, I will use the daisy set to wide open for the first 15-20 minutes.[p]Gotta get me some more guavawood!![p]K~G