Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Crazy storms, lost tree

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Crazy weather here in Texas. Strong winds, heavy snow (20") in some areas. I lost good sized tree in front yard. Bummed about that...abundant in nature, expensive in yard!
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sucks man. Some strong wing there.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sorry...that's a good size. Bradford?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • That stinks, hopefully no damage to the house.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • CPARKTX said:
    Crazy weather here in Texas. Strong winds, heavy snow (20") in some areas. I lost good sized tree in front yard. Bummed about that...abundant in nature, expensive in yard!
    It's headed right over the Great Lakes towards us. If the temps stay where they are now it will be rain or rain/snow mix.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @henapple - yes, a nice mature Bradford Pear.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • If it is a Bradford pear I bet it is 10+ years. They are all in my neighborhood, all at about 12 years old. Last year we had a storm and a few broke, split, fell etc. Sucks but at least didn't fall on house. I had a pine fall last Feb on my roof. Thankfully damage was minimal.
    Boom
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    A tree fell down on our house almost two years ago and we put up our BBQ Pergola in its place. So good and bad can happen with these crazy storms Oklahoma and Texas gets. Glad it didn't do any major damage.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The derecho that hit the DC area last year totally trashed my aunt and uncle's neighborhood; luckily their house was spared. My dad and I had to take a generator to them as they lost power for almost 2 weeks. Many of the trees in the neighborhood are at least 50 years old and I saw a few houses with major damage. Mostly the trees that fell or lost limbs had weak crotches. I'm sure the owners did too when they observed the damage the trees caused.
  • Snow, wind and cold. Texas is getting more than its share of crud this year. Glad no one and nothing was hurt, other than the tree of course. 
    As LS says, by the time this storm hits Ontario it could be much warmer, snainzzle as Dad used to call it, that snow, rain and drizzle. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • So sorry this happened to you - Bradford pears are notoriously weak...

...neighbor across the street had matching old Bradfords in their front yard.  Beautiful..  Big storm took ONE of them out last year.  Can't match anything back up to that...  Awful...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Sucks about the tree. But on the bright side you will have enough pear wood to smoke with for years! Anyone tried pear wood?
    Lynnwood WA
  • double said:
    Sucks about the tree. But on the bright side you will have enough pear wood to smoke with for years! Anyone tried pear wood?

My thoughts exactly.  Peach is great wood so I suppose pear would be also.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Glad nobody was hurt. That damn wind kept me up most of the night last night. I have a similar sized Bradford in my back yard. Every year I prune limbs out of it because I am paranoid about it breaking and falling.
  • Question  -  Is the wood from an ornamental tree like a Bradford Pear the same as a fruit bearing tree like a pear? Can you use both for smoking?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sorry about the tree. We had some crazy wind here in Houston last night too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.