Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Zucchini recipe!!

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello friends both old and new,[p]I suppose I should post more on this, my favorite forum.[p]I just inherited a motherload of fresh picked zucchini. In the past, I would simply cut in half lengthwise, marinate in Italian dressing and grill just long enough to get the char marks. Since I seem to use Italian dressing for almost everything, I'm getting burned out.[p]Any suggestions?? Thanx in advance![p]K~G

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    KennyG,[p]A while back there was a post describing stuffed zucchini halves and I think they were wrapped in bacon, like an ABT. They sure sounded good. Maybe this will jog someones memory.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    thirdeye,[p]Roadrunner made them. Called them MBTs, as in 'mild'. They looked REALLY good! He posted a link to his site. Maybe it's searchable, or you might email him.[p]DD
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    That was RUMRUNNER![p]Sorry... still lookin' for the coffee to be ready :-(

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DobieDad,[p]Beep...Beep....heheheheee[p]I thought it was from Rumrunner. I looked over on the proboard and did not see a post. Maybe he will jump in.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    KennyG,
    I laughed at your positive statement that you just "inherited" a boat load of zucchini. If you're like us as August wears on you'll start locking your car doors again so no one can put bushels more in at night!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    KennyG,
    in Ireland we call these things courgettes, and often they are made into chutneys.
    Basicly, cook up some onions, add some chopped cooking (sour)apples, vinegar, brown sugar, and cook until soft. Add a selection of your favourite spices (all spice, cinamon, mace, nutmeg S & P etc, etc). Chop zucchini into chunks throw into pot and cook to soften. Put into sterilised jars and seal.
    This chutney is excellent with cold meats, pulled pork,and cheese, and if sealed properly will keep for months in a cool place. In fact it improves with age, as the flavours blend together.
    Sorry the instructions are so vague, but I am at work, and these details are from memory only. AS far as I recall I have found a recipe for this on the internet as Mediterranean Chutney, so if anybody is keen they might find it. Alternately email me and I will dig the details out of my recipe bank at home. Regards from Ireland,
    Roger.

• KennyG,
    This is Rumrunner's recipe:
    MBT's, or Mild Buffalo Turds [p]I've been seeing, smelling and hearing about ABT's for five years now, but I can't eat one. I can't eat anything that looks like a pepper. So, I came up with my own version and I call it "MBT's", or "Mild Buffalo Turds".[p]Here are the ingredients I used...(but with all things in the bbq world, please substitute the ingredients of your choice.) Zucchini, cream cheese, ham and bacon.
    I've cut them in half and scooped out the pulp with a grapefruit spoon. Now I add a small layer of cream cheese and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper (sub your own spices here) Then comes the strips of ham. I would've added pulled pork, but I'm out. Brisket or shrimp would be good in here also. I dusted with Dizzy Dust (sub your own) and wrapped each zucchini with two slices of bacon. Another layer of cream cheese on the ham. I cooked these MBT's indirect over a drip pan, to catch the bacon grease, at approximately 375-400° dome temperature, no extra wood smoke, for 45 minutes. Each zucchini was cut into four pieces. I cooked a couple of ½ pound burgers (home ground) over the fire after the MBT's were removed. I used a special rub from Tulocay's in Napa Valley that someone had given me. Different, had some cloves in it, but interesting, to say the least. Sides were previously cooked Rosemary Potatoes and the MBT's. A bottle of Negra Modello helped to wash down the meal. Bottom line...........these MBT's were FANTASTIC!! Wife loved them. When I do them again, which will be soon, I will probably 'kick' them up just a tad, but not much. Great appetizer[p]Are you coming to Eggtoberfest?[p]Brenda

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    KennyG,
    I keep mine kind of simple. I wrap in foil with butter and Raging River rub. Depending if you slice of cut length wise. Will determine how long to cook. When they are just about done, I pull out of foil to finish. Then top with Max's fancy smancy paremsean cheese from Italy.[p]Mike

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Brenda,[p]What a fabulous recipe!! It wil be on my table tonight as I think I have all the ingredients.[p]Eggtoberfest??? I have been to one of these events before and as I remember, it was a good time. I might have to come back again this year.[p]K~G

• KennyG,
    Sure hope to see you at Eggtoberfest! After all, you are one of the Original Geezers. I remember Jslots post after the Eggtoberfest that first year back in 1998, when he was recounting the events, and he conferred on you the "Where's Waldo" award for Friday night. heeeeee!