Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swordfish steaks

Options
Nice easy cook tonight chucked on some frozen Trader Joes swordfish steaks. I had filled the firebox with all the previous clean out lump as I wanted to get rid of it. Egg was up to 600 degrees before I knew it. Some lemon olive oil and rosemary sprigs served up with roasted broccoli. I left the fish on a touch to long.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    swordfish is one of my favorites, but not readily available here.  Good looking cook, Im jealous!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Swordfish is one of the fastest cooking fish, and at the same time it is very light tasting, so easily overpowered by any spices.  I cook mine like it was a rib eye that i wanted to cook RARE!!  The fish will taste good raw, so that is not a worry!  I keep the steak cold, then dip it in melted lemon butter just before placing it a very hot egg, cooked direct on my cast iron grill.  Usually i only get to turn it twice before taking it off.  So only one side of the steak will have crossed grill marks.  My tuna steaks are cooked the same way.  I will baste the steak with the lemon butter as it is cooking which will get a god flare up to lick the steak...  One of the best fish swimming!!  
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    Double... How do you like those grill grate? I'm thinking I should buy some for fish cooks.
  • scooter759
    Options
    I've had a set of grill grates for a couple years, use them all the time for searing. Especially helpful for flipping delicate stuff like fish. Also pretty much eliminates flare ups. I personally see no need for a cast iron grate. If there is any drawback for me it's that my set is "universally" sized and they move a bit when I'm scraping them, but I like the flexibility of using on my egg and gasser. I think they now have specifically sized ones for an egg.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    @hogheaven I agree with scooter above great for searing I got the groupon deal a whilst back the lifter they come with is great for fish. I generally wedge them against the back when brushing them off.
    Lynnwood WA
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I think they have made an 18" round setup for the large BGE. I'm going to order 1 soon.