Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had an Idea, Wacha Think?

Options
 I was in the kitchen looking at all the left over drippings from the injections I put into my 8 lb. shoulder last night. I also put a rub on it early this morning while I had it sitting out to get it to room temp. So, while salivating overt the smells of my rub and brine I had an idea.
How about I empty all the excess juices and rub from the pan and simmer it in a pot? I simmered, added a bit of brown sugar, and some bcd. fat I had in the fridge. I think it would be great to inject that back into the shoulder.
Now... this will open up the meat after puncturing it but I don't know if thats going to make much of a difference. 
Any comments? 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My few tries at injecting butts didn't seem to do much of anything. A lot of the injection fluid leaked out before the butt ever reached the Egg, and most of what was left ended up in the drip pan long before the butt was finished.

Now, if you had a nice chunk of pork loin waiting to be cooked, I think what you made would be a fine addition. More fat and flavor into a pretty lean and bland hunk of pork sounds good to me.
  • svendangle
    Options
    it helps to keep it in the wrapping while you inject it. Holds the liquid in better. I was just dumb and unwrapped it to put a rub on it this morning so, as you said, all the juices leaked out. I just think it might be good to re-inject it while its smoking
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Injecting butts is very important to me.  They take about six ounces of fluid, but that makes a big difference in the end result!  Just have to go slow and inject it in many places, and quickly stop at any spot that it comes out the side -- slow ......
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Won't know unless you try it...let's us know
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN