Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally a weekend with no rain

six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110
On my LBGE right now. Simple prep Mustard, Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and apple wood chip. Set Digi Q for 225 let it go.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Congrats. We have been getting rain almost everyday here in Atlanta. Looks good!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Recommend you consider wrapping a couple of layers of foil around you probe wires to protect them from the hot spots found inside your egg.  Very cheap investment.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Recommend you consider wrapping a couple of layers of foil around you probe wires to protect them from the hot spots found inside your egg.  Very cheap investment.
    I've seen a lot of folks using foil to 'protect' the probe.  Not sure I understand how it works.  If I wrap my finger in foil and hold it over a lit candle, not sure the foil will be much help.  Has anyone ever tried these?

this cracked me up! I assume the tin foil protects from a kind of direct heat, in the foil it would still be hot get hot but hot hot if that makes sense

XLBGE 
  • six_egg
    edited February 2013
    Foil might help but I also make sure to run my leads with the plate setter legs so no direct heat. Thank  you for the advice.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Tjcoley said:

Recommend you consider wrapping a couple of layers of foil around you probe wires to protect them from the hot spots found inside your egg.  Very cheap investment.

I've seen a lot of folks using foil to 'protect' the probe.  Not sure I understand how it works.  If I wrap my finger in foil and hold it over a lit candle, not sure the foil will be much help.  Has anyone ever tried these?

Foil reflects heat. Look at shock blankets or satellites. Shock blankets reflect body heat back onto the patient and the gold foil reflects heat from the sun. Just make sure it's shiny side out.
  • You might want to read the "fine print" on probe wire insulation.  Most are below 300 degrees.  Next time you are cooking indirect at say 300, stick your thernopen just inside on top of the gasket and see what it reads quickly, you better get it out fast not to ruin the thermopen.  The heat reflected directly exposed to the lump below is easily in excess of most probe's insulation ratings.  Bad enough to throw away $25 to $35 for the ne probe, but leaves you in the dark as fare as monitoring your cooks.  And i too, keep my probe wires over that area directly over the plate setter's leg, but they can slide one way or the other during opening and closing of the dome..

PS: how did that "finger test" go ??? 

;;)
  • six_egg
    Never heard of high temps damaging probes, but do to your insight I will error to the side of caution. Thank for sharing your knowledge. I love using the digiq and would like it to last. It cost a pretty penny.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

You might want to read the "fine print" on probe wire insulation.  Most are below 300 degrees.  Next time you are cooking indirect at say 300, stick your thernopen just inside on top of the gasket and see what it reads quickly, you better get it out fast not to ruin the thermopen.  The heat reflected directly exposed to the lump below is easily in excess of most probe's insulation ratings.  Bad enough to throw away $25 to $35 for the ne probe, but leaves you in the dark as fare as monitoring your cooks.  And i too, keep my probe wires over that area directly over the plate setter's leg, but they can slide one way or the other during opening and closing of the dome..

;;)

You might want to read the "fine print" on probe wire insulation.  Most are below 300 degrees.  Next time you are cooking indirect at say 300, stick your thernopen just inside on top of the gasket and see what it reads quickly, you better get it out fast not to ruin the thermopen.  The heat reflected directly exposed to the lump below is easily in excess of most probe's insulation ratings.  Bad enough to throw away $25 to $35 for the ne probe, but leaves you in the dark as fare as monitoring your cooks.  And i too, keep my probe wires over that area directly over the plate setter's leg, but they can slide one way or the other during opening and closing of the dome..

;;)

Foil deflected the heat for about a second. Finger now looks lie a piece of lump

PS: Sorry about "the finger" ! 

=P~
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Given I use foil to protect pieces/parts of a cook from getting too much heat and the cheap investment, I have always foiled the wires to my remotes.  Foil takes a whole lot longer to melt then the insulation on any wire lead :)   YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Self protection on a high heat cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • six_egg
    edited February 2013
    Does that get satellite too? Looks like a old school jiffy pop  =))

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL