Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Turbo Beef Ribs

Didn't quite turn out as well as I expected. Error on my part about not really knowing when to pull them. Should have gone back and re-read my thread where I asked for advice. For seem reason 180 to 200 was in my head, but I didn't listen. Oh well, live and learn.

First off, 4 individually cut beef ribs. Don't usually do beef ribs as the way the butcher cuts them they look like they came from an anorexic cow. These ones look like they had some meat on them and the price was right.

2 of them got some whatsthishere sauce splashed on and some DP Cow Lick

The other two got the sauce and some Red Eye Express

These went on to the MINI, yup I said MINI, at 350 using Central Market's Mesquite Lump and some Kingsford mesquite chips. Been awhile since I used the mesquite lump. Man I miss that stuff. Mesquite is so awesome, the rest of the country outside of Texas just don't know what they are missing. Maybe you have to be raised on the stuff.

That's a lot of meat on the MINI! Olie, the ever faithful guardian of the Egg kept watch, hoping for a reward.

Starting to look pretty

I let them go about an hour and a half. Can't 'member what temp I pulled them, but it wasn't 180 (let alone 200)

Plated them up with some corn on the cob and some potato salad I found at Central Market (when you are cooking for one, its kind of pointless to make you own).

Bite test. Bit of a smoke ring. Little tough.

I could tell from the first bite that they weren't really done, but at this point I was hungry enough to go ahead and eat what was on my plate. The other two got wrapped in foil and tossed back on for another 45 minutes. Notice they pulled back from the end qutie a bit more in the next picture.

Ate the other two for lunch Monday and even though I had to nuke them to rewarm them, they were much better. The extra cooking time in the foil pushed them along further to where they should have been. Considering this was only my second time doing beef ribs and first time trying the turbo method and I was eating alone, I wasn't all that upset. Can't knock them all out of the park. Ya live and ya learn, right? Next time I'll have a bit more knowledge and experience and I expect they will turn out better.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Which seasoning came out the best?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Close call. Cow Lick had a bit of heat to it, a little pepper, so I think I liked it a tad bit more.

Rowlett, Texas

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

They look good to me. Trail and error. We live, learn and improve. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

500 Posts: 3,177
    Do y'all like beef ribs to run to 210*?  Thought I read that somewheres.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

The Central Market Lump is my favorite by far. And did Olie get a bone for all the hard work he put in?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sure looks good! 

I have never done them individually, but they actually have meat on them so I might have to look into it. I love using mesquite chunks, but haven't used the lump. I can easily get Ozark Oak so I haven't strayed away but I'll take a look around next time I restock.

I need to try Red Eye Express I've got the sampler baggie just sitting in the cabinet.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Griffin Make sure you get the membrane off the inside of the bone on the next ones. It won't pull as easy as it does on babybacks, you'll need to use a knife to scrape the inside of the bone. I did some last night on a large, 1-1/4 hours uncovered indirect @325, then 1-1/4 hours foiled with chopped onions, honey and a little water. Pulled a rested for 15 minutes, then sauced and back on for 15 minutes to set the sauce. They were a hit again.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@billyray - good eye. i was in such a rush I totally forgot to take the membrane off. DOH!!

Sounds like you followed @NibbleMeThis instructions that followed Adam Perry Lang's from BBQ25. I thought about doing those, but didn't have the time.

Rowlett, Texas

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited February 2013
    That's what I did and they are well worth the effort.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Mmm...those look mighty fine, Griffifer. Mighty fine. Beautiful dog too.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited February 2013
    Those look great, yet another thing to add to my "to cook" list. Ya'll wearin me out. Where did you get those ribs?
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Griffin said:
    Close call. Cow Lick had a bit of heat to it, a little pepper, so I think I liked it a tad bit more.
    I tend to mix that Red Eye with something sweeter like Dizzy Dust. Tried the Cow Lick on meat one time and the family didnt care for it. I think Raising the Steaks is the shiz on beef.