Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using a gasser

My wife and I have been renting a villa in Florida for the month of Feb. and if I want to grill, I have to use their gasser. It is handy to be ready to cook in 5 min. but I can't control the flames and have burnt some burgers and steaks plus the fact that you don't get that good charcoal flavor. Makes you appreciate the Egg.  Can't wait to get home to use the Egg but will miss the nice weather!   I guess you can't have it all!

Comments

• You can have it all with a mini or a small!! Could have took it with you!

XLBGE 
  • Gassers have a place in the grilling world.  I use mine occasionally to warm up things, also use it to grill veggies if there isn't room on my egg.  Thats about it for me...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You have my sympathy.

Borrowed a gasser once for a little less than 2 weeks. Least flavorful food I had ever made out of doors.
  • I used to use a gasser. At the time I loved it. It was easy and fast. I then switched over to a charcoal grill. After that I never used the gasser again. I had a very nice one that was about 6 months old, but I don't plan on ever using it again. 

After a year on the charcoal grill I purchased a large BGE. I haven't cooked on the charcoal grill since I got my BGE. 

I still use my old charcoal grill to store my grids and plate setter for my BGE! At least it is handy for that. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    My wife uses our gasser when I am not home. The key to a gasser is don't walk away especially when doing burgers or steaks, front and back burners on beer can chicken you can leave but not for very long. Gassers can't be trusted to be left alone with food they are like an untrained dog you can turn your back for a minute and your food might be gone/ruined!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I had both a gasser and a stick burner that were my pride and joy. Then I got my first LGBE. The gasser and stick burner were out the door, gone, forgotten within 30 days! That was 20 years ago and I've never looked back! People asked how can you spend that much money on a grill? I told them it was the difference between chicken sale and chicken s*^t. Then they tasted the food and went out and bought their own!
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I have a Weber Gas grill.  I still use it from time to time when I want to do a quick cook.  I have no problem controlling the heat.  I've owned a few gas grill and I they do vary.  The Weber is very easy to control and use, but some of the cheaper ones have not been so easy.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have an expensive gasser that is ~ 4 years old.  Since getting my Egg last spring I have used to gasser twice to cook kids hotdogs.  What a waste.  I should sell it.

Garnerville, NY
  • I have a four burner stainless gasser with two infrared burners, two Webber kettles, a brand new electric smoker(used twice), and a Smokey Mountain offset smoker, ------  all "Dead in The Water" since buying the egg...
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I use my gasser's side burner to light the chimney for the egg, so I use mine a lot.  ;) 

I'll occasionally use it if I'm in a real hurry and making something simple or if I want my meat smokey but need to keep the smoke to a minimum for my wife's fish. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • My 4 burner, stainless steel with a side burner gasser hasn't been lit since I got my first Egg. It's a wonderful staging area for the Adjustable rig and grids though
    :)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Gasser came in handy last night - didn't have room for grilling veggies so i had to use the gasser.
  • If I'm not home or I'm busy working on something Wilma will fire up the gasser and cook.  That alone is worth keeping it.  I have a Weber kettle I've cooked on for years, but have only used twice since I got the Egg.  I used it only because I wanted to finish an open bag of Kingsford.  I still have 1 bag left of that dreaded stuff!
    Flint, Michigan
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I still have my gasser and my stick burner at the house.  The stick burner is rusting alongside the house, and my gasser is only used to make beer brat hot tubs.  And even with that, it's very rare and that's starting to move to the egg.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio