Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frenched lamb rack help.

Options
I have this wonderful little lamb rack that I have merinanded over night in evoo and some other spices. I plan on smoking for about 45 minutes at 225 or so then pull of to rest as I ramp the heat up to 550 for a 1 or 2 minute sear on each side.

To the experts, that's all of you! Will this work? Or is there a better way?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I just did one for Valentine's that came out great. I did mine the opposite. I had the egg set up for direct heat at 600. Did a 3 minute sear on the fat side to really crisp it up. Pulled, coated in dijon mustard, then a bread crumb and fresh herb mixture on the meat side. Cooked it rasied direct meat side up until it hit 130 degrees IT for a great medium rare.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hot tub it for an hour (seasoned) and grill at 450 or so

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• burr_baby33
    Options
    + 1 Little Steven.  Hot tub and direct will get job done.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    Thank you. Will do the hot tub and direct method!
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    I thought that I didn't t like lamb until I was served a perfectly cooked lamb shank this past week. Wow! I want to know how your dish comes out.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mkline said:
    Thank you. Will do the hot tub and direct method!
    You have two racks in the package. I would either re-bag them individually or go longer on the hot tub.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I do these regularly, but always in the electric oven so far.  I just sprinkle with kosher salt, cook 10 minutes meat side down at 425F, pull from oven, flip it meat side up, coat the top with Grey Poupon Country Dijon and some crushed garlic, cook for another 10 minutes at 425F, stick it with the Thermapen, and cook til about 135F.

I keep thinking about doing this in the egg...but haven't tried yet.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I do it the way you first proposed, reverse sear. However, 45 mins to start might not be exact, I cook them to an internal temp of 115 before searing as opposed to a set # of minutes. The last rack I did I cut them down to 2 bones per piece to get a little more bark surface: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146907/.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    Well, swmbo talked me into searing it and then dropping the temp. Cooked it till 130 on the trusty thermo pen and pulled it off. It was outstanding. This will now be on the rotation for dinners.

• Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    Options
    can someone please fill a newbie in on "Hot tubbing" a piece of meat?

thanx

Greygoose
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    Options

Greygoose,

It's just warming up the meat in a ziplock or vac seal bag in hot water. The water should be below your desired cook temp by at least ten degrees. Hot tap water is too hot generally, and you want to keep the water hot for the time by adding more or have a pot in a sink filled with hotter water. As a general rule of thumb the time is about 40 minutes per inch of thickness at 100-110*. Lamb racks generally go an hour or so. Try and get as much air out of the ziplock as you can. Remember you are in the danger zone so start with the meat cold and cook as soon as you remove them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON