Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cure a lodge dutch oven

Options
Jerome Poole
Jerome Poole Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a new 9 qt. lodge dutch oven I could not get it seasoned so I guess I will have to do it my self has ant one cured one in the egg? I sure think that,it would be better to cure it in the egg reather than in the oven in the house. If any one has any tips let me know.
Thanks Jerome

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Jerome, I placed some aluminum foil on the grill, very lighly rubbed with oil, for 2 hours at 300 degrees (use heavy gloves to take off hot! hot!). Reduced temp to 200 degrees and lightly oiled again for 1 hour. Killed the temperature and took it off when cooled. Mine was a 6qt. but it shouldn't matter.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Jerome,
    Give it a good coating with peanut oil via a paer towel. Fire the egg up to around 350° to 400°. [p]Put the pan in after wiping off all the excess oil. Let it go for about an hour and then go wipe on some more oil carefully...don't want pools, you just want a light coating.[p]Do this until you have 3 or 4 coats and you will have a very solid base to work from for now on..[p]HTH

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Jerome,[p]Coat the cast iron in oil, place in 150 degree oven for at least 12 hours, allow to fully cool. I then cook in it frying is good(no acidic foods until the piece is really well seasoned), clean with a brush and water (no soap) and re-season.

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Jerome,
    Also, here are the Lodge instructions. My way is different.

[ul][li]http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Jerome,
    works fine, follow lodges directions and add a little smoking wood. gets that sought after dark black finish fast

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Lot's of different ways. I prefer 450 for an hour.[p]Toy Man