Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen on a wood deck

Well after going to a home show this weekend and saw some outdoor kitchen designs I now want to make something instead of a cart. 

Here are my thoughts.  This will be on my raised wooden deck.  The kitchen would be ~10ft long that would contain stainless door cabinets, drawers.  I would build it out of metal studs and covered with durock (cement boards) then covered with stone veneer.  The top would either be tile or poured concrete possibly as stale/stone/marble is way too much money.  The Egg would remain in the nest (less the egg shelves) at the end of the kitchen/counter.

Any ideas?  My concern's are weight on the deck but maybe over thinking it.  Should I elevate the whole structure to allow air underneath it?  Casters?  My other issue us around the front of the outdoor kitchen.  With spills and the fire embers from the Egg on the deck.  I do not think putting a stone floor down would look good on the deck plus a small step up to the kitchen area would look good or be functional as well.  If this were built on a ground level stone/paver patio then I would have no issues at all as that was the original plan but since this winter cooking on the Egg down stairs in the dark/cold was not working out we moved the Egg onto the deck and I have used it more since its close to the kitchen.  Carrying the food up and down the stairs was a PITA and lots of dropped foods here and there plus a mess all over the place.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited February 2013
    If the deck was built properly the weight should be fine. I have a hot tub on mine and stands 6 ft. in the air. You can always add extra support and laminate the joists if there is a concern
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I would have some concerns about putting a stone/tile floor over an elevated wood deck.  The wood will shrink and expand over time, not to mention deflect from the weight of people and other stuff.  All this will lead to cracks in your stone/tile floor.

I use my egg on a wood deck and have never had any issues with embers.  Not sure i have ever seen an ember escape from my egg.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Good point on the flexing.  That might also make the stone veneer crack on the sides when flexed.  Back to square one again. 

If I did not have the Egg or the gazillion eggcessories this would be easy.

Garnerville, NY
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I would definitely look at the support and possibly add posts and beam directly under load if there isn't one. I would also elevate the kitchen on adjustable legs (SS) to allow for movement over time and air flow to the wood deck that will be susceptible to mold, dry and wet rot. There are some very nice fire mats/rugs on the market for under the egg if it is a concern, it would probably not be for me. I would just make sure the deck is sealed and cleaned up.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    My gasser island has tile and I wouldn't go that route if I were you. You end up getting grease and other food stuff in the grout lines. Tough to clean. If you can do a continuous surface it would be a better way to go IMO.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If you use concrete you must seal it. The surface is porous and will also stain unless sealed and maintained.
  • robnybbq
    edited February 2013
    This was another dream of mine.  Probably not going to happen.  Dont want to build something 1/2 way and have to take it all apart in a few years to redo the deck.  I wanted it to look really nice.  Without spending ~10K its not going to come out good an that is doing most of it myself. 

All I really need is a place to store all the Egg stuff as I have the Egg shelves on the Egg.  I have not found anything to hold all the junk that looks nice and is functional.  Do not want a rubbermaid tub that I have to dig through or take everything out to get to a ceramic stone or a grid or whatever.  This will end up with something broken guaranteed.  The outdoor rubbermaid vertical storage cabinets are either too big or not deep enough to hold the Egg gear.

This gets me so frustrated that at times I just want to get rid of the Egg all together. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I know how you feel, I went to a home show a couple weeks ago and when I checked the budget all the dream things are a little out of reach. Here is something a little different that might work until you get to build the outdoor kitchen of your dreams. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Challenger Cabinets have all sorts of outdoor kitchen setups.  http://challengercabinets.com/outdoor-kitchens.php

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I contacted Castle Stoves today for a SST table much like the one Bowhuner has
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145475/too-cover-or-not-to-cover/p1

I think it has enough storage to hold a lot of my stuff
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited February 2013
    This guy did it:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144005/finally-a-permanent-home-for-my-bge/p1
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/03/26da88313134aaa6a4b28e2ed29654.jpg

You might want to modify your materials to something lighter weight so the load per sq-ft wouldn't be so high as to need reinforcement.
    Gittin' there...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @robnybbq... Pour your favorite drink, make a list of wants or needs then grab a sketch pad.. I've come up with some nice projects this way. The great thing is if you don't come up with something you still took time to relax with a cocktail. Big projects require big cocktails.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    Cocktails have what started this mess.  It all started having cocktails and talking to my friend about his ceramic smoker. 

Then I blame this site showing me all the different ways to cook on it.  :).

Adjustable rig, spider, 2 indirect stones, 2 grates, drip pans, pizza stone, wok, tongs, spatulas, brushes, temp probes, Mapp torch, wood chunks, Mavericks, ash shovel, ash tool, gloves, other grilling stuff.  - If I did not have this stuff then I might need a cart but it is what the madness is now.

Did get a Kingsford charcoal container to hold the immediate use lump - the rest is out in the shed (one bag left though).

Still looking locally for a cart/cabinet.  Also going back to my building a cart idea.  I think I could build the cart but the doors are my issue.  I do not see how the doors would not warp with just 1x4's backed with thin wood beadboard paneling.  Would be flimsy and after a few months in the rain they would warp. 

The other main issue is I want to keep this project cheap but look good (yeah I know - you get what you pay for).

BTW - that guys kitchen on the deck is ridiculous.  If I had the extra money and lived in a warmer climate that would be the ticket.  Can see spending 10-20K for an outdoor kitchen in the North East for a few months a year.

Garnerville, NY
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited February 2013
    I always thought tumbled marble tile looked similar to natural stone block. Probably weighs less than veneer.

They make exterior grade interlocking floor tiles. They're flexible and allow water to pass through.

You can buy stainless door kits for outdoor kitchens at the home depot, but they ain't cheap.

Best luck.
    Gittin' there...
  • robnybbq
    I looked at those doors and they are only 19 inches high.  Would have to do allot of digging around in the cabinet to get stuff out of it.  My thoughts are if its not easy to use I dont want it. 

Pricing out doing it this way is
    $20 for 2x4's
    $50 for durock/harvey board
    $50 for casters
    $200 for Stone veneer and mortar, then still a top
    $150-$200 for a Mitre Saw,
    $300 for the door.
    Top.  $300-1000 for a piece of stone. 

This does not cover the bottom and the shelving inside. 

Would just having 2x4's as the frame be enough?  What I am thinking is if I am rolling this cart across the deck and a wheel gets stuck will the whole cart break/collapse?

Now even if I built this cart (I have no idea on how to make it sturdy and make it last) I am looking at $2,000 on a gamble that it might work.

This is my other thread - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148187/cart-plans-design-ideas-help

Garnerville, NY
  • Find a local handy man and discuss it with them. They should have all the tools and know how.
    That alone will save you money.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA