Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHOPPED...BGE Edition pics included

Options
This all happened last week but I haven't taken the time to post it up until now.  

My wife's friend wanted me to cook dinner for us and her new boyfriend on the egg.  She was going to buy all the food and all I had to do was cook it.  I had been feeling a creativity slump lately and didn't know what to make so I told her to just go the the store and surprise me.  I told her to get me the food about 3 hours before she wanted to eat and I had to make the meal out of what she brought and anything we had at our house but I could not go to the store.  Here is what I had to work with:
Turkey apple sausage (loose not cased)
2 white sweet peppers
about 10 medium tomatoes
parsley 
a red onion
a package of sliced mushrooms

Long story short it was a lot of fun and this is what I came up with.  I only added a few ingredients from my house to finish this but everything was a big hit and I want to do it again. 

I started with a bacon weave of some of my home cured apple smoked bacon

made some what of a fatty out of the sausage stuffed with feta and some sautéed mushrooms and onions (i was under a time crunch didn't get filling pics)

sprinkled some john henry rub on the outside and ran it about 325 with a few chunks of peach wood 

for the rest of the ingredients i made a simple grilled tomato onion and pepper salad 
i grilled all the ingredients  first (didn't get a picture of the red onion slices)  after grilled the items were sliced and chilled with some balsamic, parsley, and a little olive oil (no pics of the process)

final plated pictures also had some mozzarella in the salad as well, legit night and great food. 

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thats awesome, I've always thought something like this would be fun to do. It would be cool to have a couple of eggs going and see the different things made with the same ingredients. Thanks for sharing! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Solson005 said:

Thats awesome, I've always thought something like this would be fun to do. It would be cool to have a couple of eggs going and see the different things made with the same ingredients. Thanks for sharing! 

I agree I think I read somewhere that they do kinda an iron chef style competition at one of the eggfests.
    On a side note, the same friend that set this up follows you on Instagram because of your egg photos. She was showing me and I was like dang he is on the forum you guys make fun of me for.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I saw a video of the OKC fest that had a competition like that but they haven't had one the past couple of years. Haha yeah she told me that you were on here. I might make it to St. George this year sometime, if I do I'll be bringing my small egg and give you a heads up. My friends poke fun for me being a "egghead" then they eat the food and ask when they can come over next.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Chopped is such a fun way for guests to bring items and the cook to showcase the versatility of the egg.  We were on a big chopped kick for a while, but I have put it on a hiatus because it was getting rediculious  ( like 4 pasta's and a pudding cup).

But kudos for creativity!  It would be fun if the chopped thing took off around here-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

allsid said:
    Chopped is such a fun way for guests to bring items and the cook to showcase the versatility of the egg.  We were on a big chopped kick for a while, but I have put it on a hiatus because it was getting rediculious  ( like 4 pasta's and a pudding cup).

But kudos for creativity!  It would be fun if the chopped thing took off around here-
    That sounds like fun.  You do need a balance - maybe have 4 wheels that you spin - one for meat, one for veggie, one carb and a condiment.
    Options
    Very nice!  It looks like it couldn't have turned out any better if you planned it.  Note to self:  always have bacon in the fridge! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @u_tarded Looks good man. Have you ever laced up a meatloaf with bacon like that? I bet it would be good. But hell, I bet anything would be good laced in bacon.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Thanks guys, I like Nola's idea it will be more fun when I get a second egg then can really put time limits on it. @shtgunal3 no bacon weave on meatloaf those are bachelor meals at our house cause the wife doesn't like it. I have seen it on here before it looks legit, may need to par cook bacon if its thick to help it out this was done but not crispy like I like it.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    The beer site I belong to has these "chopped" type of competitions about twice a year.  There's a group that organize it and figure out the ingredients.  Then six competitors make their meals and post a slideshow of it for the forum to judge.  It's nice to see the creativity and different thought process that went in to each cook.  It's all in fun and not taken too seriously.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio