Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's got this?

Jwright11
Jwright11 Posts: 35
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
What are everyone's vent settings for a 225-250 cook on an xl? How long without having to touch it when cooking? I'm struggling about the 5-6 hour mark with temp wanting to drop. Am I choking the fire down to much and not getting enough air?

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2013
    Only had my XL for a week and have not done a low and slow but.. I have been cooking on a M for years.

With a full firebox you should be able to go 20 hours easy at 225.

It may be tough to keep 225 and you may think to go 250-275.. easier temps to keep.

I have never had a fire go out when I put the coals in by hand.  Large pieces on the bottom, medium peices on the middle and small on top.  I would say 60-70% of the coal volume is the large and larger medium peices.  IMHO the small chips are just needed to get the fire going.  If your lump is nice and loose... not dense... I doubt your fire will go out. 

I have cooked 9 hours at 160 for jerky and haven't had a problem.

Also, I am sort of anal with the lump,  I clean ash out after almost every cook.

Vent settings will be different for everyone.  Depends on many factors... temp, wind, etc..
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What are you egging? I've found the 250 mark is just as good. Is the temp your looking at grid or dome?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have actually been holding the 250 but it seems to start going down after 5-6 hours. Yesterday I did bottom at approx 1/2". Daisy wheel about 1/8" open.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2013

If your temp is suddenly dropping after 5-6 hours, I can only assume you charcoal grate is getting clogged (less air flow = lower temp).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653

If your temp is suddenly dropping after 5-6 hours, I can only assume you charcoal grate is getting clogged (less air flow = lower temp).
    This makes sense. Solved with placing lump not dumping IME
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.