Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker

I ordered a Stoker 2 weeks ago, Expected delivery date is Tuesday WooHoo. Anybody have any advice on using it?

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

Comments

• Follow the directions and have fun, wish I had one, but I cook overnight so seldom it is hard to justify the purchase.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited February 2013
    I know that I really dont need one for low and slows but I work 3rd shift 7 days a week mostly. My intentions are to use it while im at work. The last time I cooked a butt I was at work and I worried about my cook the whole time.

Cleveland, TN.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Protect your probe wires from direct heat by running them out of the Egg over a leg of a platesetter or by wrapping any parts of the wires exposed to direct heat & potential flare ups. Learn the functions like stopping the blower fan for 5 minutes if you have to open the Egg so it doesn't start stoking the lump while you're trying to get something done in there. If you're into graphs, get Stoker Log or some other software that will graph your pit & meat temps throughout the cook.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q, I didnt know if it had a fan off control function or not. Ive been looking at youtube videos and reading all I can about the system. 

Cleveland, TN.

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I used mine last weekend for the first time. I thinks it's the coolest thing to be able to make changes in temp from my phone. I did learn that the controller is a bit temperamental in cold weather.
    One thing I need to look into is weather proofing the fan and controller. Would have loved to be using right now but just at the tail end of a blizzard. Didn't want to risk messing it up.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    edited February 2013
    It works great..... Especially on those overnight lo and slo cooks. I can get a stable fire down in the 180* range when smoking salmon. Any cook going longer than 2 or three hours I use mine. I like the set it and forget it. Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • No one loves their Stoker more than I do....... I have been Qing for 30+ years and without the Stoker I would no longer be doing long low and slow cooks...... Being able to set it and forget it allows me to sleep all night without a worry........ I use the BBQ Monitor app for my remote checking on the pit and meat tips from my iPhone or iPad
  • On Facebook there is a Stoker BBQ Forum....... Check it out
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I also LOVE my Stoker. I need to look at current apps but for the last year, I'm doing a port forward so I can use the browser in my BlackBerry to access my Stoker. Enjoy.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig