Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cant find a mini locally

I have been to two shops and called two more with in a 50 mile radius of me.  No one carries the Mini (Or small) - they say they are too small and no one buys them as you cant cook much.

Anyone order one online or shipped?  I can guess shipping can get expensive.  If so from who?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Contact the mothership and explain your issue.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

If you order online, you don't get the warranty, from what I understand.

I think its ridiculous, and bad business, that those shops won't order one for you seeing as that is what you want and are willing to pay for. I can understand them maybe not wanting to stock them all the time if they are short on space, but why wouldn't they order one for you?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    A good dealer can get you one. They just dont want to place an order for one egg is my guess. Their loss. As stated above, call the mothership.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Anyway to get to Salado, TX March16th? We are giving away 4 at Fest and selling them for $399 with Nest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    No @Chubbs, yours is NOT in the mail.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    $%&#it Mickey.... One day...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    They all say the same thing, if someone did demos on the mini how we use them they would sell thats for sure.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Several years ago I sent a Mini to Afghanistan with no problem. A year later a fellow Egger was having problems like you in that his dealers all thought they were toys and would not stock them. So I bought one (he paid) and shipped up north. Got my hand slapped on that. Seems Egg not happy with me going into the distribution of Minis. So otherwise I would be glad to help you out, sorry.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    They say its too expensive to ship and they would need to order at least 6 Egg's to have the mothership pay for the shipping.  They will not order just one.  Meanwhile their showrooms are full of gassers and all gasser accessories.  Ask about anything Egg related - oh no - we dont carry that - What's a rub?

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Where are you located?

• There is one on ATL Craigslist right now.
  • robnybbq
    NY

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Like Eggcelsior said, call Mothership.

• Chubbs
    There is one on ATL Craigslist right now.

I looked at this one. They want $325 without warranty. I can get one from a dealer in Augusta for $319 with warranty and it is only an hour away. Wondering how much it costs dealers because my dealer here said "no way" when I asked if he would match the cost, and I had a picture of the price tag in Augusta.
  • @robnybbq IF you are not in a rush, are you sure your dealer(s) can't get one on their next shipment? The dealer I talk to will get anything on the next shipment, which might be 8 weeks away, but they will try to get it. However, from comments on this forum, my dealer does seem to be the exception rather than the rule. 

BGE has a terrible distribution business model for a company which is so incredible at serving its clients from head office. They seem to be positioned for recovery, and they do a wonderful job at it according to all the folks on this forum who have had the Mothership solve their problem. Too bad they were not as concerned with initial client contact and getting it right from the start. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    edited February 2013
    The local dealer said they need to have to order 6 Eggs so they dont have to pay for shipping.  Until they get 5 other orders (or sell the few larges they have) they wont.  They are an old mom and pop shop.  Very strict/stuck in their ways.  They can not go outside their daily routine.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    @Skiddymarker . They do not do own distribution. They sell to X number of distributors around the country who house product to send to dealers in area. In Texas our distributor covers several other states as well. The distributors sell all kind of other grills as well as BGE.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    my last dealings with warranty parts i got ahold of the distributor in my area and had them hook me up with a dealer where i could pick up the parts, the local distributor here holds eggfests. from what i see here, online sales is a no no but i dont see anything wrong with picking up the phone and having a dealer send one, maybe call some places like freds and see if they cant get you one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Chubbs....I'll give you one of the 3I win at Salado...at a great discount.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    Another note - I wish there was a local Eggfest let alone a good BBQ competition/show locally.  Would be a great place to see other Eggers in action to see what I am doing wrong.

Garnerville, NY
  • @Mickey - hear what you are saying and understanding it completely. As you point out, BGE has a  network of distributors they have agreements with. Although they do not own the distributors, they are "partnered" with them. The distributor, I assume, serves their dealers. 

Again, the support from head office appears to be extraordinary from the number of happy folks who have had "mothership" resolve an issue. The number of comments about less than stellar dealers is also extraordinary.

As @robnybbq noted regarding his dealer "They are an old mom and pop shop.  Very strict/stuck in their ways."  This also seems to reflect the business model of BGE. Just saying. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    edited February 2013
    robnybbq said:
    Another note - I wish there was a local Eggfest let alone a good BBQ competition/show locally.  Would be a great place to see other Eggers in action to see what I am doing wrong.

Get busy and do one. There was not one in Salado till 3 years ago (hell, no dealer as well). I wanted an EggFest and put it together. It can be done. Not easy, sure not cheap (I would not do it if anyone was charged). I am just saying if I can do one here in the middle on Texas you can as well. Just don't understand why not more in the northeast and northwest. There are several non-dealers who have done this.

• robnybbq
    My guess is the weather.  Until the Egg I never cooked on the grill between November and April.

Plus where to have it.  Everyone around here wants $$$ and insurance for EVERYTHING.  God forbit anyone lets enjoy something without getting a piece of the action.  If there was an Egg fest locally then the other vendors would HAVE to be a part of it or you could not have it.  Even on private property.

They had a BBQ competition in CT a few years back but that is cancelled as well now,  They stated it was too expensive to have.

Garnerville, NY
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Robnybbq, where in NY? How far are you from Reading, PA? Fred's Music and Barbeque Supply in Shillington handles all things Egg, an enormous number of rubs and sauces, and 00 flour plus a great selection of lump. I make the 1.5-hour trip from Philly at least three times a year. I would say the trip would be worth even a three-hour drive each way, but my husband and I don't mind road trips while you might. Everyone in the shop seems most knowledgeable about BGE. 

It's worth it for a mini. You can put it close to your backdoor and grill rather painlessly through the frigid weather. 

Just one word of advice: Set a budget and keep to it while at Fred's! Very easy to get carried away. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    That's about 3 hours from us.  May have to go for a trip unless I can get a local to do something for me.

Garnerville, NY
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited February 2013
    My dealer mistakingly priced a mini at $250 and was nice enough to still honor the price. He told me he took a small loss on the egg.
    Chubbs said:

I looked at this one. They want $325 without warranty. I can get one from a dealer in Augusta for $319 with warranty and it is only an hour away. Wondering how much it costs dealers because my dealer here said "no way" when I asked if he would match the cost, and I had a picture of the price tag in Augusta.

Chubbs said: