Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much time?

Hasenpheffer
Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be doing a cook for the company I work for - 3 butts averaging 8-10 lbs each (24-30 lbs total) on my large egg. I know the standard 1.5 - 2 hours per pound answer, but seems like with this much meat mass it would take longer. Any thoughts, comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Hasenfeffer,
    Shouldn`t take you hardly any longer than if you were just doing one of them, I would guess around 18-20 hours at 230°-250° grid temp....HTH[p]Wess

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Hasenfeffer,[p]I would factor in a 20 to 22 hour cook time. I've done many 4 butt cooks and it takes about 22 hours to get them to a 195 internal temp.[p]I try to always err on too much time, because if they finish say in 19 hours, I can still wrap in foil and keep them in a cooler where they will stay hot for hours.[p]If you guess on 18 hours and folks are hungry (and they will be hungry after smelling the aroma) they'll be upset having to wait a couple hours or you end serving it too soon and it will be a tough pull.[p]Just my two cents after about 100 butts.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Texas Pulled Pork Afficionado.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Hasenfeffer,[p]I'm not sure about others but I usually take 2 - 2.5 hours per lb. I usually don't go over 225 degrees though...
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Hasenfeffer,
    I have only cooked Butts twice so I'm sure there is a lot more expertise out there than I can offer. I will say that both of my cooks turned out absolutely great. The reason I'm replying here is the second cook was similar to what you will be doing and I thought the same thing regarding the mass in the egg. I kept the temp at a stable 225 and after 24 hrs. the temp was still around 178. I cranked up the heat to around 290 for about 2 hrs. to get dinner on at a decent time. Once the meat hit that plateau I didn't think it was ever going to start rising again. I knew it would but I couldn't wait. I've seen where a lot of people pull it @ 200 but my family prefers the moisture when it's pulled @ 190. If you look @ the Naked Whiz's web site, there are some wonderful directions from Elder Ward and I can HIGHLY reccomend his rub. It's GREAT!!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Thanks to all for your help. It looks like the guestimated time table is about 18-24 hours which is what I was hoping. Last single 9 lb butt I did took 20 hours so I was a bit worried that adding more meat would expand the cook time. One thing I have noticed when cooking butts and picnics is that each cook is different. By that I mean the plateu time is always different even with similar size meats.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Hasenfeffer,
    It's not the number of hours it takes; it's the internal temp of the meat, re; 195/200. Whether it takes so long per pound is pure guess work, and past experience cooking butts or shoulders.
    The number of butts/shoulders you are cooking isn't a factor; each one's internal temp is; since most multiple butt/shoulder cooks cook a little different.
    Hammer