Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leaving spares untrimmed?

Options
Does it effect the rib cook at all leaving the spares untrimmed vs doing St. Louis cut? I just hate cutting off those huge chunks of meat off those ribs.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i think they thinner edges may cook faster but i have seen "full racks" done on here several times.  i prefer spares for the ease of eating/cutting and i usually just save the trimmings for a pot of chili, or cook them and eat them as they finish earlier (cooks treat).  or you could foil and hold until the rest finishes they aren't as pretty but sure taste great!
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Hmm. Decisions decisions.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I used to trim and save the flap meat for stir fry, the rib tips became snacks as they usually got done quicker.

Now I just rub the whole thing and throw it on, about 300ish, no foiling or anything. Comes out great.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I like to trim spares into St Louis style, then place the trimmings alongside the ribs, on a piece of foil to keep them from falling through the cracks. Give them a hefty dose of smoke until they are cooked, then save them to season pinto beans, butter beans or baked beans.
  • SmokinBandit
    Options
    It trims a lot easier after it has been cooked and the trimmings are good eats also.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    caliking said:

I used to trim and save the flap meat for stir fry, the rib tips became snacks as they usually got done quicker.

Now I just rub the whole thing and throw it on, about 300ish, no foiling or anything. Comes out great.

How long does it take you to cook them at that temp? I am shooting for about 3 hrs at 325