Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow lighting, etc

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Long story short, if you have a good amount of charcoal in the BGE, do you need to mess with it after it's lit if you're going to be cooking low and slow? As in, do you have to poke it around like you do other charcoalers, fireplaces, etc? [p]Also, when do you put wood chips on and how much? I know hickory and mesquite can be too strong at times. .

Comments

• Truck 511
    Options
    Dr. Pork,[p]There is no need to mess with the lump once it is lit. You just have to make sure of a few things:[p]1. Make sure you have enough lump. Most people say to fill it up past the fire box and half way up the fire ring. I fill it to the top of the fire ring.[p]2. Make sure you have good airflow to the lump. Clean out any ash that might be blocking the air holes and try to stack the biggest pieces of lump at the bottom of the egg. The big pieces help keep the air holes open.[p]3. Once you are approaching your target temp, start closing down your vents. Once that ceramic mass gets hot, it takes a while to cool down to a lower temp.[p]4. Have faith and leave it alone. No peeking.[p]5. Adult beverage should always be within reach.[p]6. Read the forum as much as possible. Read Elder Ward's PP recipe posted on the forum, read the Nakid Whiz's FAQ, Read all of the other great BGE sites. Too many to list.[p]
  • Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Dr. Pork,
    Nope, don't mess with it once you get it lit. Just light in the center and the fire will work its way to the rest of the lump all in good time.[p]I don't use chips, but will arrange 3 golf ball sized chunks of smoke wood around where the fire is lit, maybe even placing one on top of the fire so it starts smoking immediately. I like to smoke just the first couple of hours of most any cook. Chips are lighter and burn faster, so I would probably use a handful.

• I was reading some sites dealing with primitive wood and charcoal stoves, e.g. lao bucket stove. One of them noted that top lighting was a lot less smoky than bottom lighting a fire. Interesting stuff, a lot of these stoves kinda resemble the firebox out of an egg.
  • Dr. Pork,
    The hardest thing I had to learn when I got my egg is , after its burning , leave it alone. As Truck above has advised, but hard to do when your used to regular pits.
    The first pork butt I smoked --it was all I could do not to set the alarm and go check on it every 2 hours. And add charcoal to the pit. Glad I didnt, the pulled pork was wonderful.
    Sunday I cooked a turkey and and wanted to go out and do something. 3 1/2--4 hours later the turkey was ready and is wonderful.I would go out and check the temp in the thigh .
    The hardest thing in life is to wait, get a cool one and relax and enjoy the wait.
    360 guy-gary

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Dr. Pork,[p]Here to help with a link to tips for low and slow...[p]Chuck
    [ul][li]Low and Slow Temp Control[/ul]
  • Dr. Pork
    Options
    360 guy,[p]You're essentially saying don't even mess with it ever as long as the temp is steady? You're right, that would be tough to do. lol