Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swamp Venum Wings Question

Options

I was traveling for work this week and found myself in a city that has a Dissy Pig dealer.  After hearing so many great things about their products on this forum, I stopped by the dealer and grabbed some.  (Swamp Venum, Dizzy Dust, Cow Lick, and Ragin' River). 

I'm planning on making some wings for a Superbowl party.  Here is what I intend to do, I want to mix some Swamp Venum with corn starch at about 2 parts rub with one part corn starch, put on wings basted with EVOO.  Refrigerated over night.  Cooked indirect on the BGE.  Then finished off with a sauce made with Franks, vinegar and butter and put back on the grill to cook in the sauce a little bit.

So, here is my question, how much Swamp Venum should I use for about 7.5 pounds of wings (with the tips which I plan on cutting off)?  I've never used this rub before and don't want to make them so hot that people will be turned off by them.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I usually keep the tips for stock and dry the rest in the frig overnight.  When ready to cook add the seasoning and go forward.  350-375F 45-60 minutes depending on how cooked you like them.  Direct or indirect your choice.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2013
    Options
    IMO I do not think swamp venom is that hot. I do love the flavor of it thought. I used it on my wings like a pepper or salt shaker. I evoo then shake on so it completely covers the wings all sides. If you want them hot you will have to add something hot you like. Maybe red pepper flakes. I do hot wing challenges so I love really hot wings but family not so much. My eight year loves swamp venom.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    edited February 2013
    Options

@holepuncher thanks for the link.  That is a great starting point.  I think I'm going to try a variation of that recipe.

@six_egg thanks for the info.  I've never tried it and I'm looking forward to it.