Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, my butt is dropping in temp

Options
My overnight butt was wrapped in foil at 160, then when it reached 195, I went ahead and unwrapped it to allow for the bark to harden. It's been on there for over an hour unfoiled and the temp is now reading 189, where the probe is. I went out with my instant read and it's 205 on the bottom, but between 189 and 195 on the top side. I feel a slight hesitation with the probe, so I don't think it's quite ready, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of drop in temperature after removing the foil. I don't want it to dry out even though I do have 2 cups of juices from the foil package that I can pour over the final pulled product. Thanks fellas!
Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

Don't know if I've experienced it or not as I don't foil at 160*F-that said, the best finish indicator for a butt is when the bone pulls clean.  Can be anywhere in the 195-205*F range temp-wise.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Yes, I've experienced that drop before. I would think you should be close to pulling it but check the bone. It should have some wiggle and be pretty easy to remove if you pull on it (assuming you have a bone-in butt). Wow, 2 cups of juices? Sounds like a lot.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • brianbala
    Options
    Thanks for he suggestions, I feel a little better now that the temp is finally beginning to rise again. R2 - I like to foil mostly for the purpose of the juice extraction. I just skimmed the fat off the top and now it's more like 1 1/2 cups of juice, which is still a lot compared to the cup I usually get from the smaller butts (tihis one is 7.25lbs). This is the first time I've placed the butt back on after foiling, as I'm experimenting with trying to form the right amount of bark.
  • brianbala
    Options
    Well, I pulled her off at 200. I'll report back with how she tastes.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Ah, you're referring to the total meat "juices" plus whatever liquids you may have added when you foiled. I don't recall ever measuring the finished juices but I can imagine it being a least a cup. My initial thought was you added 2 cups of fruit juice when you foiled. So did the bark firm back up enough for you?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • brianbala
    Options
    I added just a little apple cider vinegar, maybe a 1/4 cup at the very most, but nothing else. The bark firmed up very nicely and it's been resting for about 30 minutes so I'll tear into in time for lunch.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    That is a good looking Britany you got there @BrianBala. Here's my boy:

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• brianbala
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the breed. Hunter's my first Britany and I see many more in my future. They require tons of exercise but are well worth the effort. Mine is about to turn 7 and I run him at least 5 miles a day (I had to get a bike just to keep up with him). They're a great breed with only a short list of potential health issues, plus there aren't a lot of people who have heard of them. Best of all, he keeps me company whenever I'm barbecuing.