Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoke, 15 degrees cold.

Options
Just got my A-Maze-N-Smoker and I was wondering if its too cold to smoke cheese. Its 15 outside, I dont want my cheese to freeze.

it also came with pellets already in it but it doest say what type of wood. I have oak pellets and they are much darker than oak. any ideas what they might be and if I can use them for cheese.
LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.

Comments

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    freduc2 said:
    Just got my A-Maze-N-Smoker and I was wondering if its too cold to smoke cheese. Its 15 outside, I dont want my cheese to freeze.

it also came with pellets already in it but it doest say what type of wood. I have oak pellets and they are much darker than oak. any ideas what they might be and if I can use them for cheese.

I cold smoked some cheese last week and when I started the temp was around 20F.  I put a 60W light bulb in the egg to help warm it up.  After about an hour I put the AMS in.  Ended up having a temp of around 50 in the egg.  You should be fine.  Just watch to make sure the egg gets above freezing. 

The only problem you may have is that the pellets may go out in these temps.  I'm cold smoking some bacon right not (temps at 28F).  I've heard to put the AMS with pellets in the oven at 400F for about 15 minutes.  Hopefully this will help.  When I lit the pellets this morning, they really burning well so I'm optimistic.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

I've smoked cheese at 25*F, probably close to 15*F with the windchill.  I would go for it.  Researched this when smoking and found that cold smoking can be done at below freezing temps...it may take a little longer to cold smoke. 

Depending on smoke preference, you will only cold smoke for a couple of hours, not long enough for the blocks to freeze.  I'd take them out of the fridge and set aside to come up to room temp.

Cannot help with the pellets.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

The pellets must absorb moisture?  The light bulb trick is a bright idea.  Can someone please explain the reason to preheat pellets going into a 15*F egg?  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    Focker said:

The pellets must absorb moisture?  The light bulb trick is a bright idea.  Can someone please explain the reason to preheat pellets going into a 15*F egg?  

To tell you the truth, I have no idea.  Just something I read in another posting.  I think it was the All This Talk About Bacon thread.  My best guess is that it may dry out the pellets a little bit to help them burn better.  That is just a guess though.